RakO

Dec 26, 2000
I got my WR and yesterday I went for the first ride.
After 50 meter I stopped because my chain made so much noise....everything was OK ...
I got many bikes but none of them made so much chain noise.(?) slack was perfect...do you have any idee..or this is normal for the YAM. Under decelaration it is even worse(none of the precedent bikes made this to this level).
THat wa the only annoying fact the rest is, perfect and the bike is really a sweety.
I did not got any starting problem...hot ..cold...that was max 2 kicks.

RakO

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
RakO,
Can't say that I've ever heard my chain making noise; however, with my baffle out it would have to make a hell of a lot of noise for me to be able to hear it. Do you still have the baffle in? I've never ridden mine with the baffle in, so it may be noisy and I just don't know it.
Coop

Traildale1

Apr 22, 2000
Not to worry. My WR sounded the same. Should get better when you get the factory anti-rust grease off the chain and get a real chain lube worked into the chain.

mnbaja

Dec 20, 2000
I think it is the type of plastic roller that they use. That has been one of the complaints for years. Hondas don't make noise because they use a different rubber roller.

Ostrich

Mar 3, 2001
My YZ250F has the same noise! So I bought a diferant roller. Try agian, noise is still there! If I find the problem I'll post the fix.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Imagine that, the new bikes have gotten so good we are reduced to bragging about such mundane problems as chain noise.
BTW, My riding buddy stopped me at an intersection whilst on my first ride upon my new wr426.
Dude, your bike is making a horrible rattling noise!
I remember how bad the chain slap was on my old ktm, I ain't worried, thats why I wear ear plugs!
Also if you keep it spinning a little harder it won't slap so violently.
The noise reminds me to wake back up and quit sitting down on the job.

[This message has been edited by SFO (edited 03-22-2001).]

Ostrich

Mar 3, 2001
RakO,
The rear sprocket on mine was so far out of round that when I adjusted the chain at the tightest point it was WAY WAY to loose at 180deg. I re-machined the sprocket to true it up and it's ok now. I geuss I could have bought a good sprocket instead but I'm to cheap!!

P.S. The noise also disapeared when I rotated that thing on the right side of the hadlebars all the way.

------------------

Top Bottom