BLUEYEDND

Oct 10, 2003
New to the forum...Just got my first bike in almost 16 years!

I bought a used XR650L. How much chain noise should I have? I checked and then tightened the chain, per the Honda manual, but I still have some chain noise from the front sprocket at low speeds. Is this normal? I'm new at motorcycle maint. so I'll have a lot of questions...

Thanks in advance and great site....

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Often times a chain will make noise if it is a bit too tight. Also, if the sprockets are slightly out of alignment, or the chain lacking lube, the set-up will make some noise.

This may help: http://best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com/Chain Maint.htm

.....I came back to this thread to add a bit.

Be sure to measure that chain. It is a used bike and quite probably worn out.
Measure 10 pins center-to-center. New would measure 6.25". Worn would measure 6.4+".

Worn chains almost always make noise.

I have also had brand new set-ups, mounted perfectly, that also make noise when rolling the bike. I attribute this to close tolerences. If the chain is good and properly lubed, the sprockets are straight, and the tension proper....ride and be happy!  :)

Last edited:

BLUEYEDND

Oct 10, 2003
OK, if I measured right, 10 pins are 5 5/8" on my bile with a 48 tooth rear sprocket and 14 tooth front. If I measure each link, 10 links are 11 1/4" (to the center of the first and last). Am I screwed up, or does the non stock sprocket setup make a difference? Thanks for the input...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The sprockets make no difference as to the length of the chain.

A ten pin measurement consists of 11 pins. The first one being number zero, the second number 1.

If you measure one pins distance, center-to-center, then you actually have two pins involved in the measurement, right?

What you did was measure 9 pins distance to ge the measurment you did.
If you take .625 (measure of a new 1 link pin-to-pin distance) x's 9, you have 5.625" WHich is what you apparently have. That would indicate a brand new chain.
Make sure you have the chain taught when measuring, and make certain you measure precisely. I like to go from the side of a pin to the same side of the pin I'm measureing to.

Remember that in ten links the difference between a new chain and a worn chain is only ~.10-.12" Not a big difference to your tape measure, but a big difference to your sprocket teeth.

http://best-motorcycle-chain-lube.com/Chain%20Maint.htm#chain-stretch

Last edited:

BLUEYEDND

Oct 10, 2003
Jaybird, can't thank you enough for the patience and the replies. I'm beginning to think that the noise may be coming from the chain slider that the chain rest on near the front sprocket. It has some pretty deep grooves in it, that I assume, are worn by the chain. Could that be the noise if it is worn out? Thanks again...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Is the slider worn through to metal?
I doubt that is what you are hearing.

Is it not more of a click-click type noice?

BLUEYEDND

Oct 10, 2003
The slider is not worn through to the metal. Being away from bikes for a long time, the only way I can describe is that it sounds like a chain saw when the chain is too loose. The chain has been tightened to Honda specs now, but I still get the noise. Hope that description helps...

Top Bottom