kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
There's a guy on ebay selling non-o-ring and o-ring chain that he buys by the pallet and repackages it. Has anyone tried it and do you know what manufacturer/make it is?

I'm running a DID o-ring now, but I'm a sucker for cheap stuff.

WAYNZWRLD

Jul 20, 2003
Hi, e-mail the seller thru the "Ask Seller a Question" tab and ask him what make and model or go to his feedback (hope it's good) and e-mail some of his past buyers of that chain. Good Luck and state his eBay seller name for those interested here, thanx.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I just won a non-oring set w/ sprockets from that guy for my WR. Just wanted to try a different gear and it was cheap. If it works out I'll replace the sprockets with good stuff when it wears out. I'll see what I can get off the chain and post it when it comes in...

Last edited:

Duane

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
I've seen bulk chain at tractor supply stores cheap. I have no idea how good these chains are, I've never tried them.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
IMO, I like cheap chains. I'd rather shoot a $10 cheapie with solvent/lube and adjust every few rides for a season than mess with the maintenance invloved w/ making a $60-70 "good chain" last several seasons...

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
I bought one of his cheap non o-ring chains and it stretched like mad on just a few rides, I then bought a good x-ring chain and I've never had to adjust my chain in over 5 months. If you buy on of these chains you will be replacing it along with your sprockets in a month or so.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Then again, a local shop owner sells a NON o-ring chain that's some no-name (supposedly made by did) thing. Riders that have used it say it outperforms an o-ring chain.

yeah yeah...maintenance matters and all that........

Still, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's no good.

Remember when hondas (cars) were 'cheap' and pieces of crap? Same for toyotas. The manufacturers that pointed the finger and held their noses then can only hope to attain their (h&t) marketshare now.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Still, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's no good.

Remember when hondas (cars) were 'cheap' and pieces of crap? Same for toyotas. The manufacturers that pointed the finger and held their noses then can only hope to attain their (h&t) marketshare.

CC - Do you have to use a handcart to drag around a rationalization that big? :eek: :confused: :laugh:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, I do.

I hitch'er up using the 2" receiver I have jb-welded to my kdx subframe.

Seriously (no...really!).....

While 'rationalization' may mean devising self-satisfying but incorrect reasons for anything, it may also be an interpretation from a rational standpoint.

If that's not clear.......it's the latter that applies! ;)

Thank you. Thank you very much.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sorry. I missed that you bought one of HIS chains. Thought it was just 'a' chain.

Thanks for making that clear. Well...it was clear enough before..I just cain't reed.

My handcart works goot, though! ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Yes, I do.

I hitch'er up using the 2" receiver I have jb-welded to my kdx subframe.

Embrace your KDXedness Brother. :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If cheap means that the metals used are inferior to the top-shelf chains, then that can be overcome by good maintenance practice. If there is a protective barrier at the friction points, it matters not the metal. Only when the protective barrier is gone does the construction material matter. One will wear out faster than the other when neglected. It's all relative to how one approaches care of the chain.

Some cheap chains will be so due to sloppy tolerneces allowed by the mfg. There is nothing one can do about such cheapness accept to enjoy the next purchase of chains and sprockets they will be making soon.

I advocate buying lower cost chains and maintaning them properly, but what do I know. I would be very curious as to what Studboy has to say about this issue, but I doubt he ventures in here much.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Thanks svmtbman,

That's all I was asking. But thanks to everyone else too.

You always get lots of info on this site, whether you ask for it or not ;)

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Yeah, I've definitely had cheap chains that were total crap, and ones that were good. The last time I got a good deal I bought rocky mtn out of some non-o chains they had on clearance. They have treated both my bikes well, and I've got 6 more on the shelf :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'If there is a protective barrier at the friction points, it matters not the metal.'

This is why it's common knowledge that the metal on the back of a gum wrapper is every bit as strong as titanium...as long as it is lubricated properly!

Hhhmmm...I wonder how a chain made out of macaroni would work. Well, of course!!!...as long as it is lubricated/maintained properly!

I've got some blue boxes at home I could use from which to kraft a chain!!

....sounds like the cheesiest kinda idea to me! ;)

Smiles all 'round! ;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Well, we pretty much accept that standard material for dirt bike chains is metal. Standard practices are sorta selective on which metals, at that.

Aluminum is excluded due to properties other than it's coeficient of friction.
Maccaroni is disqualified for at least the same reasons.

However....many would be surprized to see what's heading this way as far as inovative chain materials.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Still laughing canyoncarver!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess if I had to make chain I'd probably pay close attention to the tensile and yield strength, elongation properties, hardness and machineablity.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There was a point to the reply. It wasn't merely smart-mouth.

While I do believe chain maintenance to be important, I do not believe it to be as all-inclusive a matter as some.

Towit: A junk chain properly maintained/lubricated will certainly last longer than a junk chain that is NOT treated well, but it is still a junk chain. Regardless of the presence (or absence) of lubrication film strength, tenacity and life etc. a junk chain will still be junk.

That idea isn't based on any lofty, theoretical or learned metallurgical ways. It's is based on using chains on bikes for thirty-some years and having a bit of a clue as to what works, what don't.

Maybe kraft's new motto for their product could be, 'We've got the lowest coefficient of friction!'

Ah well.....I've heard that some so-called motorsickles run on BELTS fer crine out loud. Can you imagine!! ;)

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Believe me , I got both sides of the equation.
The humour was recieved at a good time for me, I really needed the laugh.
This thread did spur me on to do a bit of personal research on chains. It is incredible the advancements made in specialty steels in just the last decade. One might look at what appears to be quite a simple engineering feat and not realize the research and development put into it.There is not a small difference in the quality of the steel, but a huge difference between cheap and expensive steel.
Sometimes I step back and look at our dirt bikes in awe, its amazing the abuse we put them through and how reliable they still are.25 years ago on my old Canam I wouldn't guess at how far the technology as a whole has come.
Just glad I have shaft drive on the street bikes, one less thing to worry about.

Top Bottom