chain roller/side stand bracket bent & came apart?

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hi there. just wondering how would i fix this? It's a KTM 450 EXC 2003 Model

20130408163403.jpg

20130408163332.jpg

bought the bike with the bracket that broke off bent downwards from the frame, couldn't get a chain roller or side stand to bolt in as it was uneven with the other bracket on the opposite side... i bought the bike like that but never noticed it before but heated it up with a propane torch and tried to bend it back to the correct spot but it broke off easily and straight away...

1.is it fixable? and
2. is the way im holding it in the picture the correct way to weld it back on(inline with the other bracket)??

any help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Buy a new roller, bolt and any spacers that may go next to the roller. Bolt it together with the broken bracket. This should line the bracket up correctly. Make sure the roller is sitting straight in line with the chain and then tack weld the bracket to the frame. Then remove the roller and finish welding both sides of the bracket to the frame. Tig-welding is the best process for this but a wire welder will also do the trick.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
Ol'89r said:
Buy a new roller, bolt and any spacers that may go next to the roller. Bolt it together with the broken bracket. This should line the bracket up correctly. Make sure the roller is sitting straight in line with the chain and then tack weld the bracket to the frame. Then remove the roller and finish welding both sides of the bracket to the frame. Tig-welding is the best process for this but a wire welder will also do the trick.

sweet. cheers for that mate :) ill give that a try. will let you know how i go

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
why do you think the bracket would have been bent and out of line in the 1st place from the previous owner i bought it off though?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hard to say. Could have broken a chain and damaged it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I was thinking a rock hit or a crash could have broken it. It's tucked up in there pretty good and you wouldn't expect it getting damaged like that. It had to be some freak thing.

Top Bottom