KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by MikeT

Incase you think it might be my lack of experience in chain adjustment or mechanical ability, I'll tell you this. One, I have been riding and working on my own motorcycles for 18 years and I'm a Licensed Professional Structural Engineer. Any questions?

When you post your opinoin on a huge forum like this, not every one is going to like it. It is just a place where people post questions or opinoins and then they can decided which is the correct way. Most of the time there are several correct answers, some are just easier than others.

Jaybird was only suggesting the possibility that you could have improperly adjusted your chain and that you might want to check that out. He was not questioning you mental capacity.

Don't take it so serious.

I'm a Licensed Professional Structural Engineer

I fail to see how this automatically makes you a motorcycle Mr. Know it All.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by KC_BigDog_51

Jaybird was only suggesting the possibility that you could have improperly adjusted your chain and that you might want to check that out. He was not questioning you mental capacity.

Don't take it so serious.

Sorry, I just got so up and huffy about it. It is just that I spent a lot of money at sidewinder and had them try to blame the chain wearing out on me. That (Sidewinder) made me a little mad (as you can still see).

Sorry Jaybird. BIGDOG just reminded me I shouldn't take it out on you.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by KC_BigDog_51

I fail to see how this automatically makes you a motorcycle Mr. Know it All.

Not a Know it All. Just not a newbie.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
I agree with you on being upset with sidewinder. I don't think I will be buying some sprockets from them anytime soon.

Maybe there is a reason they only advertise in the back of the MX magazines and you never see a real ad. Like there stuff is cheap!!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ya, thats it. I'm just upset with them not Jaybird or you BigDog.

I have also learned from this whole chain experience that a well maintained oring with decent sprockets will last a long time. If you aren't concerned about weight even steel sprockets are an option. Steel will last a long time with a good oring chain. I was originally worried about the tiny power loss from an oring chain but now after riding it, it's not so bad.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mike,
The only qualification I can offer to you is my trade. I have experienced just about every sort of situation and condition you can imagine involving roller chains. It's part of my business, but I don't think we need to be qualifying ourselves. I only offer what I know, same as you have. It's easy to get flustered, understood.

I have customers who will have items I've provided them wear prematurely. This situation demands that I KNOW what the cause of failures are. When chains fail in industry, where many facets of production can be effected, the fingers start pointing early. Sometimes when folks think they have conducted spotless preventive maintenance yet something failed, you can be sure there was a reason other than normal operation to blame. Being an engineer you surely know Murphy's points of law. :)

There are a limited amount of factors that can cause premature wear in a roller chain. Just putting your horse up wet once can sure expedite some surface wear, especially riding again thinking you lubed it the night before. (shrug) If I claim to have done everything I thought I have done over the years, it'd be a lie. I've also heard a few folks talk about how when they first got their bike they adjusted the chain to the manual, yet they felt that was wrong since their chains and bearings were worn in no time. I contend that the maual will only state things the OEM knows for fact. I'm certain that these guys didn't do something right to experience what they claimed.
To close ones mind off to the possibilities of misteaks means....aaa......no more degrees to obtain! :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I don't have any other ideas as to why the chain wore out prematurely. I think there might have been too much space between the links, (outer link and inner link). This might have let some abrasive grit suspended in water, mud, to get in and grind the pins. I really don't think the links stretched, my bet is still the pins and rollers wore down.

Again sorry about my post. I just took yours the wrong way. I guess I'm still mad about having to buy 2 chains in only 3 rides. :(

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well we could all go back to leather belts tensioned between2 pulleys.

“Hey I heard Ern tried one of them there chain & sprocket setups on his Indian” “Said it lasted near on THREE rides AND it didn’t slip in the mud!! Gotta get me one of those”

So we got it good, & imagine the damage we’d be doing to our bodies if we had all that extra money we spend on chains & tires etc. Don’t see many dirt riders checking into the Betty Ford clinic do you? Can’t afford any more vices thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
What are nuclear powered beer coolers going for these days?:cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Just a little ;)

Top Bottom