JunkmanDT250

Feb 25, 2008
I dont have a manual and Im wondering how tight the chain should be or how you all would run it for the best performance. I just got the bike and the previous owner had it since new and maybe rode it 10 times. He did have the rear tire off and Im wondering if he set the chain up properly. Thanks.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
A basic rule of thumb for all bikes is putting 3 fingers stacked on eachother behind the chain guide while the back tire is off the ground. This goes for all bikes except for KTM''s because they have no linkage.

JunkmanDT250

Feb 25, 2008
The Lower giude? I put the bike up on a stand and checked it and it is about what you said but seems loose to me. This is my first modern bike so I am fairly Ignorant to them. Thanks for the help.

fatboyslim

Apr 11, 2006
Like the rubber peice that is on your swing arm, you should be able to slide three fingers under there fairly easy, but make sure it's not too tight you don't want to burn out your clutch.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Have someone sit on the bike and compress the suspension till the swingarm is level. Tighten the chain so there is a little(a half inch or so) slack. This is the point where the chain is the tightest trough the suspension travel. More often than not people run excessive slack in thier chains.

Top Bottom