gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Does anyone have a quick and easy way to shorten my chain. I have a stock chain but replace the stock 13 tooth front sprocket with a 12 tooth front sproket and now the chain is rubbing against the frame. I have the chain tighteners as far as they can go so my last resort is to shorten the chain. Please help me understand how to do this. Thanks for your time.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
If you have or have access to a grinder this can be done real quick. Just grind the posts down on the link you want to remove and then you can just use a small punch to knock the dog bone looking piece off the posts and magic you have a shorter chain. You can also buy a link tool but man that takes for ever and is a pain in the butt. I have this such tool and use the grinder first then use the link tool to remove the plate from the posts. This way you don't smash the old fingers trying to use a punch. Good Luck with it!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This chain tool is FAST and easy:
05PattonChainBreakerLG.gif

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I would agree with the Above metioned chain tool, that is exactly the type that I use and have never had any problems with it or had to use it for more than 10 minutes to break a chain. Get the right tools for the job, althought the grinder, pound the pin out method would work too.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
changing from a 13t to a 12t doesn't require a shorter chain. The stock chain on my KDX (non o-ring) streched after only a few rides. If your adjusters are maxed out then you probably need a new chain. Get an o-ring chain, it will last alot longer.

Top Bottom