JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I met Lemming and KDXFile at Chandler Mountain MX Park in Steele, AL today for some moto practice. I knew it would be a good day when I arrived on time, but blew past the entrance to the 'park' and spent a few minutes backtracking.

Further proof of an imminent good day came when we had a chat with the track official. She was evidently related to the owners of the 'park'. (Daughtersister? AuntMom?) Our conversation went something like this:

Sis: "We're asking y'all if y'all want to start paying $15 per day for practice for a nice groomed track, or if y'all would rather ride when it's dusty and rough."

Us: "Huh?"

Sis: "What I mean is. . .would y'all rather pay $15 a day so we can rent a generator and water the track on practice days, or would ya rather pay $10? We'll disc it up nice and pretty too."

Us: (Exchanging glances) "Uhhh, sure, water would be great."

Evidently there ain't no 'lectricity on the mountain yet. At first glance, the 'park' is quite rustic, with plank fencing and a couple of waferboard shacks. Upon closer inspection, the place is a real dump. They have races here? :)

After KDXFile showed up, we filed out onto the track. My initial impression was "Wow! This place sucks!" , but as as I put more laps in, I started getting into the groove of riding in deep sand. It was actually a lot of fun after 3 or 4 laps.

I managed to ride 15 laps (or more) and had a pretty good ride. I may even hit the next race there.

Lemming called it a day after . . .um, let's call it 'equipment failure', and Mark left shortly after. I decided to hang around for a little while, and started practicing stoppies. There's a field below the track, and it was perfect for stoppies. I pulled three or four decent ones, and then it happened.

I got the rear wheel a little too high, and when I cracked open the throttle to try to get it down, the motor backfired and I went over the bars. It was like slow motion as I watched the bike do a perfect endo and land upside down. I managed to get away from the bike as it fell, and then sat up so I could check it out. It was sitting on the ground. . .upside down, and it was still idling! I jumped up and looked around. . .nobody saw it! Sweet! It would definitely have made the highlight reel. The bars were in an RC Lowrider position, and all my levers were a little goofy, but there was no real damage. (Except to my pride.)

I decided to call it a day at that point. :) I felt dumber than a bag of hammers, but I'm smart enough to know when to quit.

I'm waiting for a damage report from Lemming. His GG250 locked up as he jumped a double. :scream:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I jumped up and looked around. . .nobody saw it!

i do that too when i have a goofy crash. sometimes i get away with it. ;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I felt dumber than a bag of hammers, but I'm smart enough to know when to quit.
:) :)

JP,
Great report! Love the quote. LOL
I take it "Sis" wasn't hot either? ;)

B

biglou

If she was hot, he would have said something! JP-I want a "Stoppie to Endo" demo at DW this year. Whataya say? :debil:

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
JP, I can't believe that I missed your endo:whiner: I've been waiting to see you do that since you started practicing those things.

Well the bike seized in mid-air, which I guess is better than seizing on the face of the jump:scream: Still don't know if it's the piston or crank, since I can't manage to get a wrench around the front right cyclinder nut (it's tucked away in the power valve cover). The top of the head looks fine, as does the top of the piston. I really can't see any damage to the cylinder wall above the piston. The plug was a nice chocolate brown so I don't think it was too lean (35 pilot, 178 main, N1ED needle second clip from top). Bike ran great all day until the seizure.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sis wasn't horrible. She had a couple of really nice teeth. Seriously, she was kinda cute. . . in a big ole country chick kinda way. Friendly, too.

BigLou, I've gotta work on my bailout technique. It needs some polish. I've come close before, but that was my first stoppie faceplant.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I seem to remember somebody saying something like, "He's gonna fall on his face doing those one day." at monster mountain this year when you were practicing them. Wish I could have seen it myself.

Top Bottom