change in 1 clip position

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Have you tried it? if it's running lean or rich in the mid throttle range you can clean it up by moving the clip even a half of a notch (you'd need a different neddle but that kind of adjustment is available)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by ryanfoley
how much does it really affect the bike?

enough to make it worth trying! once i went down 1 size on the pilot and it felt like a differnet bike.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
One clip position is aprox. a 10% change in the mixture. Yes it's a big deal and can cause a bike to bog if lean or feel weak in the mid if too rich. Try it you won't hurt anything, just watch out for a ping or a bog if you go too lean.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont know if this is a fair question or not, but 10% sounds like a lot. I know your numbers are correct.

My question is this. How much % does our bikes have to be off before we feel it???

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Rcannon around 5-10% change in mixture can be felt. Mainly on the needle circuit because thats where most people ride their bikes. On the main jet it's much tougher to feel, thats where your plug reading comes into play.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
i went riding today for the first time on a track and before it was in woods, and i was fouling plugs so i droped the needle 1 clip, it used to be second from the bottom so now its stock. Well i went to a track today and my bike seem lean, there was a down hill jump where i would try to clear in 3rd and it seemed like if i up shifted it would already be maxed out at that gear! and i would have to grab another gear to have some power, does this have to do with my clip position? and i thougt i would bog if it was too rich. I ride a yz 125 with fatty pipe and turbine spark. Im not sure but i think i have a 50 tooth sprocket

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
i would grab another gear after the jump going down hill and thats when the next gear already seemd maxed.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
alright stupid question, downhill= more speed
i dont think i was actually thinking

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by RM_guy
Have you tried it? if it's running lean or rich in the mid throttle range you can clean it up by moving the clip even a half of a notch (you'd need a different neddle but that kind of adjustment is available)

I thought it was a different clip. I beleive Suzuki makes it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Fark

I thought it was a different clip. I beleive Suzuki makes it.
It's a different needle. I think you can buy a special clip that does the same thing though.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Don't waste your money on special clips. Just go to any well stocked hardware store and pick up a small washer that will slip over the needle and shim it up to get a half a clip position on the needle.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If I am not mistaken, the small washer shim was already discussed and found to be unsafe for throttle sticking reasons!

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
"?" How would placing a shim between the the bottom of the clip and the top of the slid on the needle, possible cause the throttle to stick? I'm really interested in knowing... how this is unsafe compared to a offset clip, that basically does the same thing.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Check out this thread here.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Tuners have been doing it for years. It's just a matter of locating the proper shim. If you can not find one at the hardware, ask at your local shop they'll most likely sell or give you a couple. Don't discount it because a few say nay. Don't just agree because it's worked for me and others. Try it for yourself... make your own determination. It is just another tool and with any tool common sense and judgment must be exercised.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
which would make my bike leaner going 1 clip up or changing my ratio to 40:1 from 32:1

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Going up 1 clip. But keep in mind that changing the oil ratio will affect the ENTIRE jetting range.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
ok yeah, well i was fouling plugs and now it sounds lean, the white part in the plug is a burnt brown color, thats not good right? so i think im going to put the needle back to where it was and just go with a leaner mixture such as 38:1

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
You need to look down INTO the insulator to get a proper reading. A light tan/burnt brown color shouldn't be too lean however. The needle only affects the APPROX. 1/4 to 3/4 throttle openings. Unless it bogs or pings in that effective throttle opening range, read again Steve125's post above. Also, I would leave your Fuel/Oil ratio at 32:1. On a 125 you need at least that, using less oil will only make you foul more plugs.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
really, i always thought it was the opposite(oil ratio), as far as the plug i was looking down into the insulater, and its more of a darker brown

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Yes, that is a very common misconception. There is a big difference between Oil/Fuel ration and Fuel/Air ratio. People think that their bike spooges and fouls plugs and smokes because of too much oil. If you put less oil in the mix you are really putting more gas into the cylinder (richening jetting due to the fact that there is less oil, the oil flows through the jets at a slower rate), so, if you wanted to lean your jetting you would put MORE oil. So, my recommendation is to mix your oil inbetween 32:1 to 25:1 for your 125, and go get some jets!
There is a good jetting guide on www.ericgorr.com under tech articles.

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
dang i had to read that a couple of times, yeah i just gotta try out different ways. thanks for the help

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…