Changed tranny oil, missing some, dang it.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Well I changed the tranny oil today, and I know for a 100% fact that I put in 32oz in, which is just under a liter, what my bike calls for. Well I measured it today, what I took out, and I was for sure under what I put in. Poured back in to a 2 liter soda bottle, I'm like 3/4 to a full inch under what I should be at. Now, the bike smoke when idleing, like any bike, a regular blue smoke. Under a load it doesn't smoke either. On the other hand I'm fouling plugs alot, but I'm working on the jetting right now too, so I'm not sure on that yet. The oil is a greyish color after about 4 to 5 hours of riding, with minimal clutch slipping. Could this show that gas and oil are getting in?
So basically what I'm looking at, I missing oil, bike is fouling plugs, oil gets dark after one day's ride.
On the other hand, my jetting is still off, and the bike doesn't smoke too much, and it's blue, not white.

Right now I'm thinking of just trying it one more time, measuring exactly how much I put in, and how much I take out. This time I was way under, and it was only after about 5 hours of use. I'm fouling plugs every 30 to 40 minutes, but the bike is running good in my opinion. Plugs are carboned up usually, every once in a while they are just shiny and oily, no carbon.
My lowend was rich, so I dropped the pilot down two, and I'm going to see what happens after the next ride. I'm going to Croom in Florida for 3 days of riding, so I should for sure have the jetting down. If I'm still fouling plugs and missing oil, I guess I know the problem. By the way, the topend is brand new.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
My guess is your losing tranny oil through the right side crank seal. If it's a small leak, the bike won't necessarily smoke alot. When burning tranny oil, you will get the carbon buildup on the plug. I know the early RM's were notorious for crank seal leaks. The seal is not only cheap, but relatively simple to replace. After your sure your not losing any more tranny oil, then go after the jetting.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
darringer said:
My guess is your losing tranny oil through the right side crank seal. If it's a small leak, the bike won't necessarily smoke alot. When burning tranny oil, you will get the carbon buildup on the plug. I know the early RM's were notorious for crank seal leaks. The seal is not only cheap, but relatively simple to replace. After your sure your not losing any more tranny oil, then go after the jetting.

Basically just pop off the clutch cover, take off the clutch basket, take off the gear that's over the seal, pull out the old seal, and put in a new seal, using a socket or something, right?
Now, when I'm doing all this taking off and putting on, it's all gonna wanna turn. I don't have any impact guns though. Would there be any problem in holding the flywheel with one of those rubber strap handle things? Whats a good way to keep the engine from spinning when loosening everything?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Using a strap on the flywheel invites breaking the woodruff key, and shifting the timing. You need to either use an impact or jam up the primary gear/clutch basket with a soft piece of metal or plastic (pennies or toothbrush handles work well) to remove the clutch. For popping the primary gear loose, a piece of clean rope stuffed into the cylinder through the psark plug hole works well to lock the engine up without damage. To do this, simply rotat the engine until the piston is above the ports, stuff the rope in and rollit over until it stops then unbolt the gear.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
TimberPig said:
Using a strap on the flywheel invites breaking the woodruff key, and shifting the timing. You need to either use an impact or jam up the primary gear/clutch basket with a soft piece of metal or plastic (pennies or toothbrush handles work well) to remove the clutch. For popping the primary gear loose, a piece of clean rope stuffed into the cylinder through the psark plug hole works well to lock the engine up without damage. To do this, simply rotat the engine until the piston is above the ports, stuff the rope in and rollit over until it stops then unbolt the gear.

I can use the rope method from the start right, but I'm sure the toothbrush ain't gonna do any harm to the gears. Anybody gonna be there April 11th, 12th, and 13th, at Croom in Florida? Those seals are preety cheap, and I'm sure I can handle the mechanical part of it.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Yes, it won't hurt to put the rope in from the start, just make sure the piston is above the ports, so the rope doesn't get caught in a port. If it does, you may have to tear it down to remove the piece that gets cut off and falls into the bottom end.

Top Bottom