Changes in forks compression over the day?

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
When I start riding I can barely push down my forks. After a few hours my forks are so soft I can push them down like halfway. Is this normal? Should I warm my forks up? I'm guessing its just the oil changing viscosity as it heats up? It kinda throws me off because It jumps alot different when I start the day and when I end it. Thanks

------------------

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
MoO,
I'm a rookie and don't have any direct knowledge but, I ride with 3 pro desert racers occasionally. Two of these guys are currently #1 & #2 in the AMA National Hare and Hound series. (Check them out at this link)
http://www.amadirectlink.com/amrace/01nhh/01nhh.html

They always warm up their suspension carefully before riding hard. They ride at a moderate speed for a couple of miles on a warmup course with big whoops before turning it on. These are guys with $30K in suspension spread amoung 4-5 practice bikes each.

I just follow their example.

Jerry

------------------
Old guy who putts around on a '00 WR400F behind the KX_kid

Randy KX125

Sep 6, 2000
That sound intersting. It seems it should be the other way around. As air builds up in the yubes your forks stiffen, that is why you bled the air pressure buildup.

I heard that ATF is more stable than regular fork oil.

Maybe Jeremy will respond to this one.

------------------

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Your forks shouldnt change much at all during the days riding-i think you may have a problem with the slider bushes.

------------------

Top Bottom