Changes to 2009 AMA Pro Motocross Series

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
These two press releases came out today from MXSports who now run AMA Pro Motocross.

MXSports said:
LAS VEGAS (October 11, 2008) – MX Sports is pleased to announce the first round of significant improvements that are in store for the 2009 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship presented by FMF. MX Sports has been promoting and managing Motocross and off-road racing events since 1972 and is taking the necessary steps to ensure that American Motocross continues to generate fans and sponsors, while maintaining the position of the leading Motocross series in the world with the best riders and tracks.

In conjunction with the announcement of the 2009 schedule and the move to Saturday races and a single-day program, MX Sports is please to confirm the following additional changes:

2009 Television
The first major announcement is that a minimum of three rounds of the series will be broadcast live on Speed TV. The rounds that are not aired live will be same-day coverage, with the races being shown at 10 p.m. on Saturday nights (7 p.m. on the west coast), while the 250cc class will be shown on the following Tuesdays. In addition, the first set of motos will be broadcast live and free on the internet. The Women’s Motocross Association, which will expand to eight rounds, will also receive Speed TV and live internet coverage.

Class names
Each of the two professional classes will receive a new name, with the goal to better identify the classes to the fans. The classes will be renamed from Lites to simply 250, while the Motocross class will be renamed the 450 class. This name format, a return to the traditions of the sport, allows for easier recognition for the fans while clearly identifying the size of the motorcycle.

Race day format
The format on race day will also see a change as the premier class of 450cc bikes will be the first on track for both motos at each event, followed by the 250cc class. The 2009 AMA Toyota Motocross Championships will incorporate the traditional two-moto format; 30 minutes plus two laps.

#1 Plate required
Previous year champions for each class will be required to run the #1 plate if they are defending their championship.

Open rear number plates
The rear number plates on each side of the motorcycle will be no longer be required to display a colored background with the riders number. Riders and teams may use this space to showcase sponsor logos and their names, while maintaining the traditional numbering system on the front. With the advance of transponders and digital scoring, MX Sports is giving this space over to the riders and teams.

In the crucial areas of event operations, MX Sports is pleased to announce that former AMA Motocross Series Manager Jeff Canfield and AMA Motocross Timing and Scoring Director Conrad Young have joined the MX Sports staff in order to assure that the series runs seamlessly from an operational standpoint. Their professional knowledge and experience will assure that the races operate smoothly.

“Everyone at MX Sports has been working extremely hard in order to assure that the 2009 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship is positioned properly and has the deepest media reach it has ever had,” said Davey Coombs, Vice President of MX Sports. “We will continue our work on the tracks and the show, which remain what they are—the world’s premier motocross series.”

Leading up to the opening round of the 2009 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, MX Sports will be working closely with the National Promoters Group (NPG) and our industry partners, sponsors, riders and enthusiasts on many other significant operational and event improvements, which will be announced in the near future.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
MXSports said:
LAS VEGAS (October 11, 2008) – MX Sports, now in charge of the AMA Toyota Motocross Championship presented by FMF, announced today the 2009 U.S. championship racing schedule.

The AMA Toyota Motocross Championship, which began in 1972, will commence on Memorial Day Weekend with the Glen Helen National event in San Bernardino, Calif., on May 23, 2009. The 12-round championship schedule will run throughout the summer, culminating with the Steel City National near Pittsburgh, Pa. on September 5, as part of the Labor Day weekend holiday.

The most significant change to the 2009 schedule is the move to Saturday afternoon races. After introducing the format this past summer at the Thunder Valley and Steel City events, the overwhelmingly positive response prompted MX Sports to make the transition to Saturday events. In addition, the race schedule will change to single-day competitions. Four weekends of rest are also built into the schedule in order to give riders and teams the opportunity to maximize their performance. Also, in order to help offset travel expenses, MX Sports has rearranged the events for a more cohesive and efficient travel schedule.

2009 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship

May 23 Glen Helen Raceway San Bernardino CA
May 30 Hangtown Motocross Classic Sacramento CA
June 6 Freestone Raceway Wortham TX
June 20 High Point Raceway Mt. Morris PA
June 27 Thunder Valley Motocross Lakewood CO
July 4 Red Bud Buchanan MI
July 18 Spring Creek Motocross Millville MN
July 25 Washougal MX Park Washougal WA
August 15 Unadilla New Berlin NY
August 22 Budds Creek Motocross Budds Creek MD
August 29 Moto-X 338 Southwick MA
Sept. 5 Steel City Raceway Delmont PA

*schedule is subject to change

LazyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2003
Open rear number plates
The rear number plates on each side of the motorcycle will be no longer be required to display a colored background with the riders number. Riders and teams may use this space to showcase sponsor logos and their names, while maintaining the traditional numbering system on the front. With the advance of transponders and digital scoring, MX Sports is giving this space over to the riders and teams.

Read on another press release the reason for making #1 plate holders run the #1, was to allow the average fan to identify the riders. Could be wrong but doesn't the whole open side plates thing contradict that?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I dont think you'll see teams go away from numbers on the side plates completely, more likely they end up with little numbers like in Europe. Heck half the bikes side plates barely hold decent size numbers anymore anyway.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
dirt bike dave said:
Can a rider run a 250 two stroke in the 250 class? That would be returning to the traditions of the sport.
They finally fixed the amateur ranks, without a big deal. So why not?
Chili said:
I'm more interested in seeing if they return to Qualifying RACES instead of timed qualifying.
We miss out on some races, but I would be surprised if the factories are complaining.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm not really sure I like the idea of them moving to a single day, race on Saturday program.

Seems this is going to ruin the amateur program I had grown to love at Redbud every year.

I guess time will tell how it's all going to play out. I'd really love to hear what the thinking is on that one though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You have got to be kidding. Now this opens up, "lets go race on the pro track, the way they left it". Back in the day, we raced on Saturday, on their track(mostly), They showed up Sunday and threw down. The following weekend, then we got to ride their ruts, it was great! And they are finally giving the premier class what it has always deserved, a well prepped track to race on. 1 day of their non-sense is enough, it may have worked out better for J-law.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
You have got to be kidding. Now this opens up, "lets go race on the pro track, the way they left it".

I agree with that, I see most Amateur days moving to Sunday now. It's a big deal in golf circles, everybody wants to play the course in the conditions the Pro's played it on the last round.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Millville though as a big part of the experience for us was open practice on Thursday where you could ride all day for a very reasonable practice fee and then Am day was on Friday. I'll be disappointed if they kill open practice day as a result of the schedule change.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Most of the people I know won't be willing to stick around for Amateur days on Sunday.. They'll want to get home and enjoy a day off from the BS.

Just seems to me that this will kill amateur days for all but the most serious riders.

Usually Redbud has several hundred riders for the amateur races, I see that number dropping off significantly.

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
IndyMX said:
Most of the people I know won't be willing to stick around for Amateur days on Sunday.. They'll want to get home and enjoy a day off from the BS.

Just seems to me that this will kill amateur days for all but the most serious riders.

Usually Redbud has several hundred riders for the amateur races, I see that number dropping off significantly.

Well I'm not sure it will really have an adverse affect on the amateur numbers. In a sense just as many will be pumped to ride after watching the pros on Saturday.... Of course it might affect the number of fans standing around watching the amateurs but that is a given.

I can see why the AMA is doing the Saturday thing, as more fans will be able to attend the events live. As it is I can recall many years where several of the regulars did not attend Broome-Tioga because of some Sunday complications. And the rush home on Sunday (which can be several hours drive) left you exhausted for work on Monday......

I think this enables families to travel from greater distances to attend the events. The traditionalist in me does not like the idea, but I can understand why it will bode well for the sport...

As far as the number plates on the side being gone that is just stupid.......it is tough enough to ID these guys with 40 of them out there, with just a front plate it will be impossible, especially on TV.....

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
its just another way to add to the total number of people there. they know amatuer races add huge to the bottom line. for the people who want to participate not watch.

this isn't new, just different. they now tie a rider up from thursday til sunday. used to be pros could do local pro races and such, specially the lower top 40 guys, since they never made enough money. this eliminates that, but lets hope they can make the money they deserve as a "pro".

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
The only change I can't follow is the open rear number plate. How is that a "significant improvement" as stated? I've already heard enough feedback from spectators that they will have a hard time following who's who in the heat of a race. Benefiting the sponsors is good but come on now...All of the other changes sound fine to me. I was at Red Bud yesterday and won't have a problem staying after a National to be involved in amateur events.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'll bet a dollar the rider's number will still be on that side number plate, albeit slightly smaller. Probably look euro-style, which doesn't please me cuz I don't want our guys to look yer-a-peein', but anything that helps pay the bills in these trying times works for me.

examples: Molson Kawasaki's Steven Sword

2310724427_6e04c05f28.jpg

TM's offering for the 08 MX1 class:

TM%20MX1-GP%2008%20left%20side.jpg

funkypunk97

Aug 30, 2006
XRpredator said:
I'll bet a dollar the rider's number will still be on that side number plate, albeit slightly smaller. Probably look euro-style, which doesn't please me cuz I don't want our guys to look yer-a-peein', but anything that helps pay the bills in these trying times works for me.

examples: Molson Kawasaki's Steven Sword

2310724427_6e04c05f28.jpg

TM's offering for the 08 MX1 class:

TM%20MX1-GP%2008%20left%20side.jpg

Well I guess that is not horrible if they just shrink the numbers a little..... I like the look of the side numbers, just like NASCAR the number you see most is on the side, not the front.....

The sponsors are and teams just need to police themselves and make sure to keep some tradition on this one. I would hate to see the bikes looking like they are FMX bikes with no numbers and just sponsors plastered on every inch......

As has been stated the fans and announcers need to be able to make a quick call. They cannot rely on the GPS scoring system in real time while they are watching the race.....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
We went through a spell of leaving Saturday night and going racing Sunday somewhere else, catch the pros on tv! Then the economics dictated not going at all. District points was more important.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Hey lets watch and see how the injuries will be on the "sunday" after. If I remember correctly won't saturday watching the pros be an ALL DAY drinking event? only to get up after a night of partying ( when you don't have to drive anywhere) and then 8am hop on the bike and practice.

i can see some serious issues that way, maybe a breath-o-lizer test should be included with the scanning of the sign up card!!!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I was going to bring up the drinking issue but decided to let someone else. So, let's see...yes I can see a bunch of riders pretty much "hung over" come Sundays practice. I don't think that will stop the "drunks". I see them at the races all the time and it does not seem to affect them too much :(
I can't remember a National that there were'nt plenty of people drinking (heavily) and quite a few just plain annoying (idiots). Be it Saturday or Sunday they will party. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
the only difference is that normally they "race" then "drink". This new schedule will reverse that process.

Not an issue unless your on the track with them. Since I will never be, nor will any of my family racing such an event. It's just an opinion i have. I hope they who set this stuff up find a way to make it sure riders don't have more then just the track to deal with during the amatuer races.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Wow! Without side plate numbers it's gonna look like FMX out there. Bike just doesn't look right without numbers. Maybe I'm ol' fashioned. I agee with what's previously said. How does losing side plate numbers support the fan recognition concept that the number 1 plate addressed? What about a mud race? Guess the riders can make up for it with BIGGER numbers on their jerseys.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom