yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hey everyone. im just wondering about changing oils(brand and type) in my 4 stroke 2004 450 EXC. I just had a new top end put in and run the new motor in for half a tank of fuel but they used semi-synthetic and i want to change the oil to Motul 7100 fully synthetic and wondering if it's ok to do so or if it's not good to mix the oils?
I still am going to run the motor in for another half a tank of fuel but want to use the good oil.
Ive completely drained the old oil from the drain bolt already, just want to know if it's ok to put different fresh oil in right away.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yammieman said:
Ive completely drained the old oil from the drain bolt already, just want to know if it's ok to put different fresh oil in right away.

No problem. If I remember correctly, ;) KTM recommends full synthetic.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
yeah just thought there may be traces of the old oil in the engine still but i did let it drain til it was barely dripping out.

i was wondering do i need to change the filters too though? and oil screens? due to changing oil types.
if i do need to change the filters now, is it just the 2 oil filters(short and long) i need to replace or do i also need to replace the long and short oil screens as well as the 2 filters?

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I would if you are changing oil types. The cavities hold several oz as well as what the filters hold. Always good to check your screens for sure. Yes, they do recomend full Synth. That is what I've run in mine since the first oil change.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Not that I would recommend it but I have topped off with different oils many times. I even dumped some Mobil 1 oil on top of ATF that I had in a KX85 that was low before.

Unless it is a "Fully Synthetic" oil it will likely have normal oil base with just synthetic additives, anyway.

Top Bottom