Changing the front tire on a 2001 RM 250

THEWELSHM

Nov 23, 2010
I put a hook in My garge roof today and with uses of a floor jack and a CUMALONG got the front wheel of My RM 250 (2001) in the air. I slackened the wheel nut and the 4 each 10mm bolts, however it appers I need an allen key to remove the spindle ( is this correct and if so what size is it?) :coocoo:

thewelshm

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Tighten the 2 nuts holding the allen end of the axle. Unscrew the axle nut. Then loosen the 2 nuts on the allen side. They make a special tool that fits inside there, by the way. Vintage Bob

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Measure the inside dimension of the allen end, go to hardware store and buy a 2" bolt with a head the same size, and two nuts to fit the bolt. Weld the nuts to each other and to the bolt shaft. Presto! Special tool for a couple bucks.

THEWELSHM

Nov 23, 2010
Rooster said:
Measure the inside dimension of the allen end, go to hardware store and buy a 2" bolt with a head the same size, and two nuts to fit the bolt. Weld the nuts to each other and to the bolt shaft. Presto! Special tool for a couple bucks.

Thanks Mate so basically the spindle is threaded into place correct?

thewelshm

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
By spindle I'm assuming you mean the axle? If so once you loosen the axle nut and then back off the 4 pinch bolts you should be able to kock it through with a drift or something ( I use a socket) and a hammer, the axle is not threaded in place.

THEWELSHM

Nov 23, 2010
Chili said:
By spindle I'm assuming you mean the axle? If so once you loosen the axle nut and then back off the 4 pinch bolts you should be able to kock it through with a drift or something ( I use a socket) and a hammer, the axle is not threaded in place.

Really? I wonder why they have the hex head in the axle??? This one doesnt want to budge but if its like the old school 90,s Im good then beating it through so to speak?

thewelshm

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
THEWELSHM said:
Really? I wonder why they have the hex head in the axle??? This one doesnt want to budge but if its like the old school 90,s Im good then beating it through so to speak?

thewelshm

Whenever you get the axle out, for the love of god, please clean up any rust and apply a good grease to that thing. You should not be running into any issues with simply removing an axle or wheel. Also, if you're running into problems this aggravating with simply removing the wheel, I'm guessing that all of your bearings in the link, swingarm, shock, and steering head are all shot.

Get cracking on basic maintenance and keep that bike in good shape, please, otherwise your bike is just going to become a rotten heap of clapped out junk. That would be a terrible waste...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
THEWELSHM said:

thewelshm

If you want to go to an extreme you can get a hex head for installing the axle. Not a bad way as you don't want any burrs/mushrooing on that end or the axle can bind and affect your suspension.

My guess is it doesn't want to budge because maintenance has been neglected and it may be corroded to the wheel bearings.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No way, the front wheel can freeze, get lobed spots, and have to be carefully cut out? Like the swingarm and rear axle? I hope I never run across a front wheel like that! I remember the first time I ran across an axle set up like this. Once I got the axle nut off, it slid right out. Leaving the lug nuts tight was cool, so is the inside socket wrench.

Top Bottom