Changing the Oil 101 - 1999 Husky WR125

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
This is my 1st 2-stroke and I need a bit of direction - I got the bike used and don't have the manual ...

What kind of oil should I use ?

How much ?

Where do I put it ? :cool:

Thanks in advance ...

Gyrros

Mar 8, 2000
whats up eel? To change the transmission oil you must first:
a. Remove the oil fill cap ( It should be ontop of your clutch cover).
b.loosen and remove the drain plug that is under the transmission (underbike).
c. Drain oil and put drain plug back on.
I use ATF type F fluid in my Kx and it runs good. There are other oils though.
Bel Ray gear saver SAE 80w would be good for your bike. Also Maxima MTL gear oil 75w, 80w,85w.

Last edited:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I use Honda 80 weight racing gear oil. Because a Honda shop is the closest shop to me, other wise I would use what ever 80/85 weight gear oil the nearest shop had.
The reasons I use gear oil: There is a lot of controversy even between knowledgable people as to what oil is the best so I use what the manufactures manual says. After all they built is, they should know.

also I read this article http://www.floridatrailriders.org/articles/techinf3.htm

The place to put the oil in (filler cap) is just in front of the kick start lever. the amount to use is 850cc. the drain plug is on the bottom of the engine pretty much right below the filler cap. Becareful putting the plug back in as it is very close to the frame. Mine actually touches the frame when re-installing and I have to play with it to make sure it is threading properly and not cross threading because it is touching the frame. DO NOT FORCE IT. Hopefully yours does not touch and will go right back in no problem.

Last edited:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
On my 99 wr250 the fill plug is on the left side on top of the clutch case. Not even close to the frame. Does your 125 have a sight glass? If it does just fill it to the mark.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
850 cc - that's a little less than a quart.

What happens if I put in about twice that ?

:o

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I don't know about the 99 but my son has a 2001 cr125 and it only holds a little over a half a quart.
If you put to much in it will just run out the overflow when you are riding.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
850cc is right out of the 99 CR/WR125 shop manual!!!!

125 and 250 engines are completely different. They even have the chain on opposite sides of the bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom