schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I need to change the transmission oil in my bike.
it's a 1976 ke 175. how much should I put in?

If it's a little high, will it hurt anything?
so you drain it by unscrewing the plug on the bottom of the transmission, then put the plug back in, and pour new in through the plug on the top/side of the transmission, right?
what brand should I use?
what weight? are there even different weights?

it's a 2-stroke, if that's any help to you.
I'll take pics if it helps.
tomorrow, it's 9:00.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Yes you do, since it is becoming warmer out you can probably step up your viscosity to about 75w, if you are still running it in colder conditions, 75w would be fine but make sure you let it warm up to ensure your clutch is going to work properly. When it is cold where I live I always run 40w. As for a brand, any type of normal motor oil is going to work just fine, but be sure it is above or at a viscosity of around 40w. This is my life experience with transmission oil and it works fine for me so good luck...

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, thanks! so, is it ok if the oil level is high? what is considered "high"?

this forum is such a big help, I cant thank you guys enough!

I'm just changing all the fluids on my bike for the first time.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
usually there is a small screw ~2/3 the way up the case that is the overflow indicator. This screw generally looks just like all the screws that are holding the case/clutch cover on except it might be just a little bit inside and may have a washer under it that the others don't have. If you have a manual for your bike it will identify the screw.

Your basic procedure is correct except that you need to remove the overflow screw and fill until it starts dribbling out.

Rod

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, cool. there are one or two long screws on either side of the cases, maby those are them. I'll inspect them tomorrow before I go riding (half day, I had today off!)
what kind of oil do you use? tranny oil, or motor oil?

It is shifting great, smoothly, so the tranny is fine, but It has the same oil in it as when I got it from the guy, so it is just smart to change it.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
Just ask your kawasaki dealer for some transmission oil, there is only one chamber where you add oil-the transmission. Thats why you only see one oil fill hole on the engine.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
mmz77 said:
you can probably step up your viscosity to about 75w

I have been trying to make sense out of what you said and I am baffled.

A standard (old fashion) single grade motor oil would be something like 30 weight. For the last 30 years or more "multi-weight" oils have been available and carry numbers like 10w-30.

I have no idea what oil you would be referring to that is a "75w". Are you referring to a multi-weight gear oil, such as a 75w-90? Gear oil is different than motor oil.....

I am not familiar with a KE 175 but if I put 75w-90 gear oil in my YZ-125 transmission I doubt the clutch would work at all!

Can you educate me on exactly what oil you were referring to?

Rod

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Can you educate me on exactly what oil you were referring to?Rod
I always use (on a normal basis) a weight of 80w-90 directly from honda in my cr250 transmission. It works well when the bike is warm and is adequate for warmer conditions. When I took my bike out for winter rides, I changed my oil to a viscosity of 40w due colder weather casing a thicker viscosity substance to restrict "thinning" which would make your clutch work smoother of a period of your engine getting warm...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I seriously doubt your KE will have the fill screw on the side of the cases, that's pretty "new tech" in your world of a 1976 bike. You will need to look on the side of the cases near the oil fill for the correct volume or possibly you have a sight glass on the side of the case. If you have the sight glass then there will be a fill mark to add to just be sure the bike is in an upright position when you are checking it. if neither are there then I'd check a manual.

Top Bottom