ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
The Eel and I had a great day in Phelan today. Conditions were perfect, what with the rain earlier in the week, temperature around 75 degrees with a slight, cool breeze.
After fixing a minor carb problem, it was off to the monster sand hill, which Eel motored up first try. Way to go!:D Since the top of the sand hill is the start of the ridge trail, we rode the ridges to the lookout above Hwy. 15. While taking a short break there we were approached by 2 quad riders with full protective gear and helmets! My amazment went away when I realized they were U.S.F.S. rangers. After checking our bikes for green stickies/sparkies, we chatted with them for a few, and they informed us of the possibility of some more trail actually being opened up in the area next year! They handed us maps and left.
From there we headed to the 'poison oak' trail. Eel took lead, and proceeded to set a blistering pace. It was all I could do to keep the mighty 360 on the trail in this rock infested, brush infested canyon. The scrub oaks that hang over the trail are very unforgiving, and one well placed bush took out the right sleeve on my jersey-good excuse to get a new one!
Back to the trucks for a quick breather and gas, then on to the second loop, which was just the two of us hunting down more tight single track to conquer. I got in a rythym on this loop and wicked it up a gear-awesome!
Toward the end of the day we got separated when I could not for the life of me get up this one tricky hill (the only one I couldn't climb all day!), and after riding circles around each other, we met up at the trucks, where we had a couple cool ones and discussed the days' battle. Nobody hurt except bikes and riding gear.
Can't wait until the next one, but I'll be sure to have the PM done before I get out there next time.:eek:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Sounds like I missed another great ride at Phelan.

ktmboy - do you know what the dates are that red stickers are allowed?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Red Stickers

Thumbs- I know it's different for each area, so here's the phone # for the Ranger Station that has jurisdiction over Baldy Mesa. (That's what that area is called.)
(909) 887-2576 This is the Cajon office #.:D

Top Bottom