cheap and worthwhile mods

Mar 18, 2006
I wanted to start a list of worthwhile, inexpensive mods(set-up tips). Maybe someone else does too?

a couple of mine: push button fork air bleeders ($22.00)
aftermarket swingarm chain slider ($50.00)
gearing (front and/or rear sprockets $10.00- $50.00).

Does any one have others? Free ones are best. Like proper air pressure in the tires, loosen your lever perches, etc, etc.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I just use a screwdrive to bleed the air from my forks, it's even cheaper and I end up with a screwdrive to use for other stuff. :)

Factory Service Manual is the best money you will ever spend on a bike period. Tells you everything you need to know and then some plus allows even the most mechanically declined person to do most tasks.

Mar 18, 2006
OK, But I figured $22.00 to keep forks from pumping up bad is a great deal. Screwdrivers work, but can be a pain two or three times a day or more. I thought those bleeders were a great idea. So I bought a set for two bikes. I also like the fact that I will never loose a screw on the trail or track this way. Maybe you've never inadvertently screwed one out too far? Or tightened one up too much? Many have , I'm sure. Now, air bleeding is idiot proof for my kids.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't bess with it until I'm done for the day so the worst case is I drop a screw in my trailer.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Should I really be bleeding my forks that often?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
JWW said:
Should I really be bleeding my forks that often?

Every 6-7 minutes is best. :whoa:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Sadly that would be about my average ride time this year. 2 month old bike sitting in the garage with less than 3 hours on it.

Back on topic-

Break down and grease bearings

Agree with above on the manual

Get the right height bars

Milk crate with casters makes for a great rolling stand

Second air filter for quick easy swap out

Mark your bars and and levers with a sharpie or scratch so you can quickly reset if rotated or moved for maintenance

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Basic maintenance,factory manual and set up the springs/sag/clickers.Cheap and very effective along with lots of seat time.

YZ Teacher

Mar 13, 2007
Grip Glue/Spray Paint

No grip glue for me. I use spray paint and let it dry. Of course, I use safety wire as well. I have done this for years. Easy to get off as well.

BTW, Lowes has safety wire as well... just costs less.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ODI Grips.. No glue, wire or spray paint required.

Plus when you buy new grips, you get a new throttle tube.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
cheap mods?

go on a diet
learn how to corner

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Jetting. Compression. Flywheel weight. Reeds.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Replace every removable part with anodized billet aluminum !! Then, black rims that look great for 5 minutes !! New Graphics A++!!
Seriously, spend time on jetting and suspension. Make sure you have the right springs for your weight.

Mar 18, 2006
A 2 stroke ktm with the goofy nut on the end of the silencer needs a gob of silicone around the nut to hold it on. Proper torque probably works too, but who knows what that is.

Keep your silencer packing fresh.

A gob of silicone on the countershaft sprocket snap-ring is also a good idea.

Surely you guys have some more really good tips.

I would like to know what kind of knife would work well to sharpen knobs on tires??

Excessively low tire pressures can cause pinch flats (less than 10lbs).

Make sure your master link clip is installed properly. small slip joint pliers work best for me to remove and install these clips.

And "lumpy" helmets should be illegal (what are those manufacturers thinking!!).

my 4c

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
longtime coming said:
A gob of silicone on the countershaft sprocket snap-ring is also a good idea.

Do explain, please...

longtime coming said:
And "lumpy" helmets should be illegal (what are those manufacturers thinking!!).

Been thinking the same thing for about 2 years now. I like my noggin sliding smoothly...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…