Cheap knee braces or just guards?

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Just looking for some advice, has anyone tried the EVS SX02 knee braces.
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00046011

I was wondering if I bought these if I would just be wasting my money and maybe just buy something like the Thor force knee guards and save a 150 bucks.
http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00046011

I have done a search and read a ton of info on the more expensive braces but I really don't have more than $250. I guess I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money or if I should just buy some decent knee guards rather than the cheap braces. So cheap braces? or just knee guards. I know the argument for the expensive braces but it won't happen, anything is better than nothing.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
allot of doctors will tell you not to wear knee braces until you actually have a knee injury and a real need for them... Others say the more protection the better... I've heard that a brace can actually cause a tib/fib break, or femer break insead for example an acl tear with out braces... Their is allot of discourse on this topic all over the net... Personally I decieded to go with the guards until I actually need the brace... I would not think about it in terms of money though, if you need/want braces get them...

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I use the Thor Force knee guards. They work great (for impacts) but are by no means a knee brace. If you have knee problems, save your money and buy some braces. If you don't have knee problems, give the Thor Force guards a try.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have a little bit of experience with this stuff (unfortunately). First off, you will get different answers. Some swear by knee braces, others don't. You won't even get doctors to agree on this.
I have had several knee injuries on my right knee due to excessive wear and tear (I was a ski pro in my younger years). ACL, MCL, Meniscus. I have always gone through extensive rehab and therapy after the injury, with the goal to DITCH the brace. I have recently been fitted again(!) with a custom brace, this time my left knee said "ciao" - or chow as Capatin Obvious would say - to the MCL. Again, I went through rehab with the goal to "DITCH" the brace.
I am currently riding with braces, and have not decided which way I'll go this time. I have seen broken bones (ski crashes) that were partially attributed to the use of knee braces, and I have seen MCL injuries even with the use of braces....so...I'm really not much help, am I ?
FYI, I use a custom CTI2 on my right knee, and a custom DonJoy "ski brace" on my left.
I also have a set of EVS braces, that I use occasionally.
While all of the knee brace manufactorers will claim great comfort, I can tell you that after 5 hours of hammering through the woods, dragging your bike out of a creek or up a hill, none of the ones I tried felt great. (I have not tried the Asterisks yet, but may give them a shot when I need to replace mine).
BTW, It takes me longer to get my braces on and swing a leg over my bike, than it might take you to do a top end job, or a valve adjustment.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
CaptainObvious said:
I use the Thor Force knee guards. They work great (for impacts) but are by no means a knee brace. If you have knee problems, save your money and buy some braces. If you don't have knee problems, give the Thor Force guards a try.
i concur

thor force :nod:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Wolf, I have also had numerous injuries and surgery to my left knee over the last 25 years, and I always wear my Asterisk braces while riding. They are the most comfortable brace I have used. Of course, they do restrict your movement somewhat. I use them primarily because of the instability in both knees from missing ligaments, no cartilage and overall joint wear. After riding with the braces for awhile, they are barely noticeable. But after a fall, when trying to get back on the bike, they are still cumbersome. For me, it's a trade-off that I accept.

tyesai, even if my knees were healthy, I still think I would opt for the braces. Go cheap on other things if possible, and get decent quality braces. An injury to the knee can be a life filled with pain and never-ending restrictions because of the injury. Given equal severity, I would gladly trade a bone break for a knee injury. An added plus is most knee braces cover the knee cap, so they also double as knee guards. Just my .02

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks for the info, after reading a ton of posts and a couple hours worth of internet info I am just going to get the Thor Force knee guards, their is just to much conflicting info on prophylactic type knee braces, for people with healthy knees for me to justify the cost.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Knee braces are cheap compared to knee damage. Not just the financial cost of getting the pieces put together but also the long term cost of knee problems. Hind sight being 20/20 I now wish I had knee braces back when I caused so much damage skiing and riding. I wear my Cells now and have my son in some junior CTi's until he's big enough for Cells because I don't want him having to learn the way I did.

Top Bottom