paul

Jul 3, 1999
Does any 1 have anything against using the autozone pennzoil 2 stroke tcw3 2 stroke oil? Can this ultimatley harm my bike?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Paul - if you are looking for fairly inexpensive oil that is made for bikes - go to Autozone and get Mobil 1 MX2T. 100% synthetic - super high quality oil and it is 1/2 of what racing oil is. The KTM nuts swear it is the best 2s oil made.

Sean

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The oil you are asking about is for 2 stroke marine engines. Since they mainly hold a steady torque and rpm, unlike an offroad bike, I would not use it until Pennzoil demontrates in writing that it is up to the application. Search the internet and get back to us if you find anything about using 2 stroke marine oil in off road bikes.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I remember holeing a piston on a road bike from using marine 2 stroke oil, seems to me they are also water cooled and don't require as good of oil as our precious bikes?

For my 2 strokes I will pay the extra to not burn another piston.

bake

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
That oil is fine but use something else. Only difference for TCW3 marine is that it is low ash so it won't pollute waterways. If its the Pennzoil I'm thinking of it is synthetic and actually one of the best PWC oils there is. No more oil than a KDX uses though don't skimp on $. Get the absolute best you can. The MX2T recommendation would be a great one but I would suggest Amsoil if you want the best. It is the lifeblood of your engine. Use the best and you will be glad in the longrun. A better more expensive oil will not leave carbon behind or clog up your KIPS valve like other oils might.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
ive used tcw3 pennzoil since 1999, and my cylinder is fine. Gorr said so himself when i had it ported. I do mix it lean, at least 40 to 1. It says you can use it in motorcycles on the back, air or liquid cooled. Its the MULTIPURPOSE that i use by the way. If you dont ride much, it wont matter about the price anyway, a few cans of yamalube will last a year.

paul

Jul 3, 1999
The thing is i live in NYC and the dealers rob you here they want 43 bucks for what looks like a gallon. I dont ride much at all, my bottle says says for outboard engines but on the back it says for motorcycles also, how can you tell the difference between the two?

mbl

Jun 12, 2003
Just a quick diversion on this thread.

I noticed last week, that my local Checkers (Boulder, CO) is clearing out all there Mobil 1 two stroke oil. They told me that the chain will no longer carry it. The local AutoZone does not stock it, but I will need to see if they can order it.

Then the Checker guy went on to tell me how bad 2 strokes are for the environment.

Has anyone else seen their local suppliers of 2 stroke oil stop carrying it?

Brian

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
For years before the synthetic days, Pennzoil made two stroke motorcycle oil. It was for air cooled engines which operate at much higher temperatures than the water cooled marine engines did. When synthetics and water cooled motorcycle engines became the norm, in a "market" response I think Pennzoil combined at least two products into one.
Use all synthetic motorcycle oil and un-alcoholed gas and your KDX will perform beautifully a long time. If you do not do these two things you will probably have problems much sooner.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I have ridden 2 smokes for YEARS and have found by trial and error that petroleum based oil is my oil of choice. I continue today to run TCW3 Supertech purchased from Walmart at the cost of $5.97 a gallon. I continue to mix 32:1 in ALL my two strokes and jet them accordingly. I have burned down bikes before fooling around with different oils and truely must say that I ALWAYS wind up coming back to petro based! My 2000 KX500 has THOUSANDS of miles on it from last year. It has had a steady diet of TCW3 and has EVERY type of riding done to it imagineable - seriously! I am about to pull it down for maintenance (not because it is broke but because at 6k it deserves it). It DOES NOT use plugs AT ALL, it runs spooge FREE and I can buy the stuff EVERYWHERE!! If you do a lot of riding in remote areas this is REALLY important because YOU JET AFTER YOU PICK AND MIX YOUR OILS (try finding Golden Spectro in Yuma Michigan)!! I really think that there is more "marketing ploys" involved in oil sales then almost any other commodity around. Dont get me wrong, I REALLY like some of the smells, I used to "sand bag" while racing just to ride behind the Klotz guys :) :) OH YEA, GET THE GOOD BUZZ ON..... :) But, honestly, its hype IMHO!
Burn what you want, but for me its TCW3. (sheesh, another Woodsy ryhme)
Woodsy

motox

May 21, 2001
I like the Mobil 1 mx2, I've been using it almost two years. It's great and it's cheaper than Yamalube, Bel-Ray, and it's available 7 days a week at autozone. Kips valves not sticking , I love it.

Top Bottom