Deeler

Feb 19, 2000
Anyone familiar with HifloFiltro oil filters?
The parts counter guy at a local accessory shop suggested them, after I commented on the relative high cost of stock Honda oil filters (aprox. $12.00ea. Cdn.).
A comparable HifloFiltro is less than half the cost!! The company is based in the UK, and the filters made in Thailand.
I've never heard of them, or seen them advertised anywhere....

DAVE

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Actually,
Fram makes an XR400 filter. At least I think it is Fram, it is the one in the orange box).
Anyway, I used to buy mine at the local AutoZone. They were much cheaper than the Honda filter.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Actually, Honda probably makes the best oil filter for the XR's. The trick is to keep the oil and filter changes nice and regular as the oil cooled heads really seem to need this.

Deeler

Feb 19, 2000
I was enquiring about the Fram filter when the Parts guy suggested the Hiflo Filtro. In Canada the Fram costs more than the stock Honda filter - same with Per-form.
With the frequency of oil changes required, I think the Honda filter is over priced, especially when compared to some of their other bikes.

DAVE

PS John, what is the cost in Australia??

Last edited:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I went ahead and sprang for the reusable stainless steel filter. Kinda pricey at $65 but figure after 6 changes it's paid for itself.

RZ

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
I'm with the two guys above.I dont even have my DRZ in hand yet and I've already ordered the Thumer SS filter.In the long run it will save $$$$$

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Look at the stock filter, there isn't much to it. It's a plain looking filter. Compare it to a cheaper filter. I really don't se where a fram filter is any better or worse than the OEM filter in this application. It's a plain oil filter.

You could change a FRAM filter 4 times as often for the same cost.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
I agree with your sentiment on that one Reeko, but it all comes down to how well the units actually filter. I dont think I could personally pick that by eye. Having said this, the aftermarket filters may be of an equal standard to that of honda's but I can't be sure either way. :confused: My honda parts bias is basically founded on their reputation for making quality gear.

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
I always purchased STP filters at autozone for 3.95,did the same with my street bike .also spoke with a guy at a filter company about SS filters and mention the size micron that scotts supposed to filter down to ,he said that wasn't small enough and at that size it would ruin an engine prematurely

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
KATOOM that is simply bull. The STP filter is rated at 15 to 80 microns average. The Thumper and Scotts filter filters to 35 microns absolute. Meaning the absolute largest particle could be 35 microns.Meaning larger particles pass through the paper filter. A micron is one thousandth of a millomete ror .00003937 inches. :cool:

katoomed00

Nov 18, 2000
XRSFOREVER

I misled you in the way I wrote my comment in that at the time I owned a XR400 I used STP filters cause of the price,then I purchased a 400EXC ,during my search for an inexpensive filter I considered purchasing the scotts SS filter but with the price and multipling it time two I couldn't see spending that much money,and the only other aftermarket filter I knew of was a EVEN-FLO I believe and then they only sold the long filter,I ended contacting someone at PERF-FORM and he informed me that they didn't handle the filters, so I questioned him about SS filters and told him that they filtered down to 35 microns and that's when he said that would ruin a motor prematurely and that the best way to go was with a glass media which was good for 15 microns,currently I run the KTM filter and I don't know what it filters down to but it is OEM and I'm not in anyway a filter expert,I was only repeting what I thought was good info from someone in the filter business, and at the time I did ask him if it was ok to post it in DRN forum and he said that would be fine,so if you have any question go to their web site and e-mail them questions ,they will respond

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by xrsforever :
"The STP filter is rated at 15 to 80 microns average."

Whoa!!
You may want to recheck that figure.
Lube filters, MOST lube filters that is, are rated anywhere from 15 to 25 microns nominal.
(hydraulic, and fuel filters are around 2 to 10 microns)
80 microns is pretty big, most filters catch particulate that size on the first pass!
Although micron ratings are important, oil flow is pretty crutial too.
A synthetic (fiberglass type) media filter would be a good choice, but i dont think anyone makes one of these for this application.
The SS reusables may sound temping, but personally i wouldnt trust them for cathing the small stuff in the oilstream. IMO

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
OnAnySunday: this is beginning to sound like a flame. I checked my figures and stand by them. And you mentioned the subject of oil flow,paper filters do not flow as well at cold start-up which could and has caused bypass valves to open,thus allowing unfiltered oil to enter a engine.As paper gets wet from the oils density you have breakdown of the paper(which can cause swelling and close off filter pores) from the very start of a filters life. Stainless does not have this breakdown and performs equally from a cold start-up to higher temperatures without loss of protection.In otherwords the SS Filter would have a consistent oil flow and the flow would not break down as would a paper filter.:cool:

Top Bottom