yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Ouch. That doesn't paint a pretty picture at all. However, if it's his land can't he do as he pleases with it? The yucca plants weren't there to begin with, they were planted there when somebody else was tearing up a different section of land. I ask this person what kind of plants and wildlife were on their property before their house was built. Isn't this a similar issue? They destroyed the wildlife to build their house, and Mr. Knott did the same for the track. I dunno, in some ways I think tracks like this will help bring us all down, but in other ways I just want to tell that person to bite my butt.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Pred.

Excellent example of what we are up against. :| Gail obviously has a lot of time on her hands.

Of course it's ok to bulldoze the land for nice homes and golf courses. :scream:

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
That guys gotta a problem. I would do anything to here the ear pirseing sound of a motocross bike ripping around a motocross track all the time. Its music to my ears

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
The way that letter was written, it sounds like they are looking for sympathetic ears to join a fight to stop this track. I would think that the owner would have to check his zoning laws before he built the track, and if he is following the law, it is his right to build the track.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
You have to admit, they are a heck of a writer! It all comes down to zoning laws. If the track is allowed then the owner should atleast so something on his part to help cleanup the area some. Of course the writer wont care either way but atleast it would make i less of an eye sore and help with the community.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Zoning laws? Easily changed.

Bum522

May 25, 2003
It sounds like the guy is helping out others in their careers and if he is following the laws then i dont think their should be a problem..... motorcross is awesome i wish there was a track like that near where i live.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ahh, cool breezes, chirping birds.... Then the evil dirtbikers came :p

quote: "I was shocked! If you as I love the land, my fore-parents were planters with hundreds of acres on one side and tenant farmers on the other, you would be shocked, too. This thirty or so acres that borders ours, with the back side of both properties following the Hartwell Lake corps line, was, a year ago, forested with tall cedars, saplings and older pines, abounding in hard wood with a ground cover of all manner of flora and wild flowers.

Wild grapevines and the Cape jasmine that blooms in the spring and strings its leafy vine with tiny perfect yellow blooms over the forest bed and the trees much as one would hang garland during the holidays also grew there. The yucca with its plumes of white blossoms then prolifically covered the ground. Early in the morning and the late afternoon, one could hear the call of the whippoorwill and dove. On one rare occasion, we heard a bobwhite.

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
IT'S THOSE KINDA PEOPLE.....!!! Good Lord. The sad part is that his over exagerations about sound and such are compleatly believable to anybody who is not associated with the sport. It is HIS land and he has no say in what it looks like. Anybody who is annoyed by the sound with earplugs in is obviosly blowin smoke. Well maybe I'd better not say that. I don't know his situation and I am pretty bias on the subject.

AHHHH.. All better now.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I gotta say; I would be upset if a track moved in next door to me. Dust, noise, noise and dust.

Oh! Oh! I have an idea! We could put MUFFLERS on the bikes!

Actually; I have a little experience with the situation. I built an ATV dragstrip (gasp!) on some family property. My sister (who lives about 400 yards away) at first said she didn't mind, but soon changed her mind when the reality of the dust and noise hit.

The neighbors really do have a legitimate gripe. What burns my butt is when someone moves into an area that has had a track for ten or fifteen years and has the audacity to complain and trys (often succesfuly) to close it down.

It is getting harder and harder to find a location for a track that is secluded enough to avoid "neighbor problems".

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
From the sounds of things, she should go as far into the forest as she can, find a nice old hollowed out tree to claim as her home amongst all of her little forest friends.
Or maybe.... she could get a nice peacefull and quiet paving, and construction crew to introduce the wild and exotic bitumen and gravel filled roads to the area. Then plop down some rare and beautiful plastic, steel, and concrete abodes right on top of all of her precious forest friends thus preserving as many as she can in her plastic flower pots, and with in her natural chain link fence.
As I conclude writing this another construction worker was injured at a site nearby, and I would just like to give my best wishes to his family.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Sometimes people will buy property with a 'view', and they think it will always be that way, even when the 'view' is owned by someone else.
If they want to be insulated from offending noises and dust, maybe they need to purchase a buffer zone, i.e., buy up all of that land themselves!

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
There is always two sides to every story, and I sure would like to hear more details on this one before I'd pass judgement either way. I, for one wouldn't want a track right next door to my house, but a golf course would be just as bad.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
"It is being told that there has already been one terrible accident on Mark’s racecourse. That’s terribly unfortunate and we want the family of this child to know we wish the very best for their child’s recovery."

Who's forcing those children to ride again? It's called an "accident". It's not like they tied him to the ground and ran over him. I guarantee that there have been more people injured or even killed in that county on the ROADS than on tracks and trails. And some of those cars can be pretty noisy, too.

"Terrible accident?" Probably not much more than a broken leg or arm. And everybody knows that kids don't get injured playing baseball, hockey, football, soccer, riding bicycles, climbing stairs, walking, swimming...:silly: Somebody could easily suffer a concussion on a golf course..."FORE!"

"They were experiencing severe erosion problems due to the soil composition and the extensive movement of earth necessary to build the golf greens, club house and roads that would attract investors for the fine homes they hoped would be built." But you disagree with the building of a track from all-natural dirt? What a piece of work you are...you're probably just jealous cuz this guy found a way to keep the 'erosion problem' from being a problem.

Last but not least, this poor, deprived person is missing out on SO MUCH if they can't appreciate the joys of motocross! We should feel sorry for these unfortunate people who feel that they must close themselves off from the rest of the world and live in their hippie flower-power world of tree-hugging where they believe that it's not "nature's way" to alter the land in any way, shape, or form for the advancement or enjoyment of the human race. After all, this person must live in a hollowed-out tree stump from their apparent appreciation of nature :silly:. Wait, they live in a house AND have a computer? Computers run off of electricity generated from fossil fuels made from 65+ million year old liquified dinosaur carcasses that when burned emit dangerous CARBON DIOXIDE (yeah, the same stuff we breathe out through our own lungs) and WATER VAPOR! :scream:

WHEW...sorry, I got a little carried away. I'm used to writing essays. OK, so the sound is a bit annoying...maybe you could WORK IT OUT with your neighbors and ask them to maybe ride no more than once a week, maybe even once a month? Cooperation is way too overlooked by some people these days... :flame:

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
id love to live by a track. There'd be nothing better than waking up, putting on your jersey and pants and riding your bike over to the track for a pre-breakfast moto. Maybe her house is for sale and i can get her to move to san francisco with the rest of her treehuggers friends :p

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by FritoBandito
Can the the zoning laws be changed after he has established his track and a business?

Yes, its the "Democratic" way.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by Tony Eeds

Yes, its the "Democratic" way.

Yep; that's how they get us. Happens all the time.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by FritoBandito
Can the the zoning laws be changed after he has established his track and a business?

Frito they do it here all the time. Tracks close every time someone with a little $$$$ and influence get there politician to change the zoning. They get a petition and of course they never petition riders just those from the home and garden club then they change law to suit them. Louisiana politics-"the best money can buy!" :|

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Tree jumper
You have to admit, they are a heck of a writer!

No she's not! That's a terrible abuse of the English language. Run on sentences, comma splices, overly gushy descriptions . . . if she's a writer the only thing she's publishing will be Harlequin romances.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

No she's not! That's a terrible abuse of the English language. Run on sentences, comma splices, overly gushy descriptions . . . if she's a writer the only thing she's publishing will be Harlequin romances.

It may not be grammatically(sp?) correct but she sure painted the picture she wanted to be conveyed.

I'd be pissed if my neighbor did that type of thing w/o even talking to me. I'm willing to bet the track will be shut down in short order. She may be a nitpicky old bag but putting a business (camping spots w/hook-ups?) like an MX track in a residential area is pretty darn inconsiderate. It's one thing if it's the family & friends riding but 60 riders is a bit excessive and there needs to be some consideration for what hours you ride. Our club has very similar issues with the noise and we don't ride before 9AM.

Brian

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
They should close the track and then all the ex-riding folks can do something quiet - like drugs and alcohol and spousal abuse - things that are much easier to ignore.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I agree Kiwi. They should shut down the track and build a meth lab. At least then she wouldn't have to listen to anything. She could just smell the fumes along with her purty little flowers. If she smells them long enough, she won't be writing anymore of those cute little stories. :p

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
The article is unclear if the track was build in a residential area. IMO part of the problem is people move to the country thinking its a residential area! Just because you move to the country does not mean you will always have peace and quite. On the other side of the coin, if the land owner that build the track didn't consider the proximity of the track to his neighbors... I looks like they maybe on the way to taking action with the zoning laws.

My house is about 150' from a golf course. Its a pain in the butt. I'm always picking up golf balls in my yard. :think:

Top Bottom