Check your silencer on your KTM

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
My friend and I just bought new KTMs this summer.... check the silencer nut on the end of the pipe. He lost his end cap and nut after a few hours of riding his new bike. The packing was coming out of the pipe before he noticed it.
I bought my bike a few months after he bought his, and I checked out my silencer and tightened up the nut two weeks ago. Hah!! I figured that was an easy fix until yesterday I looked down and theres the packing hanging out of the silencer! Has this problem happened to anyone else? Im thinking lock-tite next time. I just wonder how it will do with the heat.
I called the dealer today and ordered the o-ring, spacer, end cap, and nut. Warranty covered the parts on my friends bike, so I guess we will see what happens with mine.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Yeah, I had this problem on my 07, I too used the high heat Silicone around the cap and it didn't happen again.
It was the first thing I did on my 08er.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
Im not sure if its in the manual but im pretty sure it says to do an inspection of your machine before you ride.. ie. check all nuts and bolts, fluids, tires, fuel you know

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
re-torquing everything on the bike on a regular basis is good general practice. When it comes to motorcycles (and dirtbikes in particular), locktight is your friend!

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
Ya, this is good advice. Check it first. But I can believe that to be frustrating after dropping that much money on a new machine and having it assembled halfa** like that. :|

two-stroke

Feb 23, 2008
agitt73 said:
check all the bolts rode mine 100yds and the seat fell off

fell off your lucky. my seat flew off in a crash :bang: landed 20ft infront of me :whoa:

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
sounds like ktm is taking some hits, they need to be more careful, it are good bikes but when you hear about these things jees, someone should inform the factory and stuff!

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Shouldn't the bike shop(s), where you guys bought these bikes, be prepping them better?

Top Bottom