sci85

Mar 27, 2008
Ok guru's, it's been many years since I've had to tear apart a bike. Anyway, I've got the top off my cr125 and waiting for Eric Gorr's 144 overbore to arrive. So I'm checking the bottem end out. Rod side clearence checks out at .023 clearance. Now, If I grab the top of the rod, I am able to rock it left to right some. Is that a bad sign or is that normal? I just don't recall.

Thanks.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Since up and down play is difficult at best to measure they did come up with a top end rocking movement measurement on some bikes. Dig in your shop manual in the crank section and do what it says for setting up a way to measure the play. If your within limits your in good shape...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No guru, just a guy. You are spending how much on an overbore, bolting it on arguably the fastest 125 honda ever made, and getting cheep on the bottom end? 200 dollars in parts and you would have a better crank, and solid state of mind. What Red said, there is a side deflection number, you did the thrust clearance. Did you check up and down play with an instrument, accurate to the half thousandth?

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
I thought there used to be some measurement for that. Unfortunately, I don't have a factory service manual, only a Clymer. I may have to get one though.

And, yes, I have thought about just replacing the bottom end. But, the money's not the issue it's the work. I've done a dozen top end jobs but never had to open the cases before. Plus, there's no reason to spend good money or time if the parts are in spec.

I did not check up and down play as I'm not sure that can be done accurately with the bottom end together? Does anyone know the side deflection spec?

Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom