Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Why on eath would they put that thing on a great bike. It just makes it look cheap and it doesn't have anything in it except that so called multi tool. It doesn't even fit the rear axle nut. Well I took it off and put 1/4" nylon plugs in the holes. Looks better. Now I don't have to clear the bag with my stubby legs when mounting. I'll put what I need in a fanny pack. I probably should have put this on the flame board but I thought I can't be the only KDX owner that feels that way. :flame:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I put a lot of stuff in it. It only comes with a mulit tool, because you are supposed to out your own stuff in it. I put all my tools in my camelbak and sparkplugs,plug wrench, letherman, knife in the fender bag. It is only an inconvience when you are stuck on a huge hill and the only thing stopping you from getting on the bike is a purple (in my case) fender bag. :)

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Dapper;
i agree, the pouch is to small. I 86'd mine a long time ago. Now you need to get an mx rear fender :thumb: I use a fanny pack that holds everything I need to hopefully get me back to the truck.
Lew

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Let me guess, you're the kind of guy that takes off the headlight and taillight, too, because it "looks better." Personally, I like the way it looks, and it is very functional. I use two engine oil bottles and cut the tops off of them, fill one side with tools and spark plugs, then slip the other side over it, and put it in my tool bag. I love it :cool:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
if he's not i am....kx # plate,mx r fender with no bag on mine !! mx lookin woods bike ....is there anything better.so i agree no luggage bag ,i pack my possibles.everyone feels diff :)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/

Their bags are tough and I prefer to take the weight of the tools off my aging legs and put it on the bike if possible. They make a bag specifically for the KDX. I have one of the 10 x 4 bags on the rear of my KTM and I love not having a fanny pack.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I like the tool bag on the rear fender. I put in plugs,tools,and anything that vibration won't harm, and don't forget that anything in the fanny pack that is hard or sharp can stick you if you crash and land on it!
Just ask my broken ribs.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I put my tools in it, then wedge a piece of foam on top and close the lid. It keeps everything nice and tight so it dosn't rattle around.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
but guys my bike is so pretty in it's current trim,lol.i don't bring a lot of stuff ,a cell phone.i rely on the kindness of others jk .my stuff fits in my drink system/pack.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I just got a DBG bag. I can attest to what Stan says. He loaned me a plug at DW. I have carried a fanny pack for years. But I am opting to put the weight on the bike instead of me. My plan is to put the bag on the front fender vs. the rear though. I think this will keep it from getting in the way, either getting on and off the bike and when I slide way back on the bike. What do you guys use to put the tools in the bag? I have only found one tool wrap advertised.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
DBG makes an inner liner that is another bag that you can place with in the outer bag. I use that and bag my tools up in it and slip it in my DBG bag. Dan is now supplying a plastic insert to protect the inner bag from getting worn from the mounting bolt heads...just ask him for it.
FT

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Fred can comment here,i was very happy with the tool kit ,jets,needle etc that came with the ktm.Tools come in a flap pouch.Fits nicely in my pack,you could put that pouch in a fender bag easy?

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I really didn't hate it that much. I thought I had a wrench to fit the axle nut and I rembered I gave it to the kid when he went on tour this summer for the nuts on the spare. I was a little mifted that there was not a wrench on the bag that would fit. No biggie except I just put a 12 tooth front spocket on and could not adjust the chain. I don't mean to complain but, the master link on an o-ring chain is a stinker to get off and put back on. Is there a secret to getting it back on? I finally tried compressing the link with a very small clamp and I got one side of the clip on and in the groove. I don't think it should be that hard. :silly:
Gooby your bike does look slick. :cool:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
thanks Dan ur scoot is pretty damn sweet too. we gotta ride again sometime,i'll call ya.how much notice ya need?i gotta stop letting work get in the way of ridin.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I have to join the majority. I took mine off the first day I got it. I use my camel back for everthing. At 5'-5" it gets a little hard to get on and off the bike, without anything in the way.

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i mounted a camera bag above my headlight. put a piece of plastic in it, drilled four holes and mounted that sucker. i can get to it easier and i don't hit it with my butt like i did when it was on the rear fender. well maybe once i did but that was a bad crash...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by gooby
thanks Dan ur scoot is pretty damn sweet too. we gotta ride again sometime,i'll call ya.how much notice ya need?i gotta stop letting work get in the way of ridin.
goobyifindmyselfskippingrightoveryourpostsastheyarehardtoreadkindalikearunonsentencesendmeyouraddressandillsendyouacapslockkeyandspacebarforyourkeyboard ;)

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
:| Not funny Mr. Grammar. Does spelling counts? What's next pop quiz ?Lighten up. :moon:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It was meant tongue-in-check... (hence the "wink") It's just that I'd really like to read more of his posts but they're much harder to read than most! After spending 8-10 hours a day reading type on a computer, I need all the help I can get.

Sorry the attempt at humor hit a sore spot... :confused:

Oh ya.... as far as the bag, I also have the DBG KDX bag and really like it. I am going to put the old cheapo bag on my son's XR-70 for snacks. For others that do buy the DBG bag, the only thing I'd suggest is to NOT drill the holes through the bag per the instructions. This tends to tear up the bag, and the alternative method of burning them with a soldering gun is much better (or stamp them through with a leather punch).

Note: The word "NOT" is capitalized above for emphasis, not because I was shouting or that my Caps Lock stuck... ;)

Last edited:

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I bolted a small insulated lunch bag to mine where the missing toolbag should of been. Inside i have wrenchs, plugs, maps,a can of fix a flat, a mirror, and a compass, most of which is in a rubbermaid container. I need my back for a camelback. Yes that oem toolbag is a bit cheesy. It should be alot BIGGER!
tom
prepared

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Hey Dapper! I had the same problem with masterlinks until I queried here and someone replied. I copied it and here it is:

Try this; it has changed my whole life, and it can change yours. Rotate the wheel placing the masterlink just forward of the top of the sprocket. Remove the clip with a pair of vise-grip pliers. These pliers must have good, sharp jaws. Open them up to use just the last bit of travel. The left jaw rests inside the back pin (the pin farthest from the countershaft) of the m-link, and the right jaw pushes the split end of the clip. This is why the jaws must be sharp--there is very little thickness to the clip against which to register. But there is enough. Use the last bit of travel to squeeze, and the clip will part and move forward. (It works best using the last bit of travel in the pliers, because that way the jaws are close to parallel, and they tend to slip off the pin or the clip less easily. It takes a while to get the knack, but it's worth it.)

Once the clip is loose, remove it with a screwdriver or a scribe or any small pointy thing--maybe your brother-in-law's head. If you have a chain that does not use a press-on m-link, you're finished with removal. If it is a press-on (the best, because they are more secure, and with an O-ring chain, they make replacing the link easier. I'll explain why below), place a good chain breaker on one pin of the m-link, and push it out a little. Don't try to push it all the way out, or you may bend the link. Then switch to the other pin of the link, and push it out. Usually you can push the whole thing out now.

That's it for removal. Trust me, the chain breaker is the way to go with press-on links. Otherwise you're stuck prying and swearing, both of which can be effective when used in conjunction with a little blood, but the chain breaker is the preferred method. Use the kind with two long handles (about six-inches; to me that's long--never mind why). You don't want to mess around with the miniature models that require wrenches. Save those for emergencies on the trail, when your overall misery will mask the minor torture of using those little things.

Now, for replacement. If you don't have a press-on link (DID and the newer Regina O-ring do), you've had it easy up to now, but you're in for some trouble. The problem with the non-press-on links is that it's hard to compress the O-rings enough to get the clip on--you have to squeeze the plate tightly against the link, and get the clip on, all with only two hands. It's a struggle. I use a little hex nut just big enough to fit over one pin, and I squeeze it with the vise-grips, to compress the link. I do this to both pins, until I think the rings are compressed enough to get the clip on. Usually they pop out again, and I have to try again. But eventually you will get them compressed. You may have to get a pair of needle-nosed vise-grips to hold the very edge of the inside of the link, allowing you the room to get the clip on. You then put the clip on by doing the reverse of what you did to get it off: you use your other vise-grips to grip the inside of the front pin (closest to the countershaft) and the round head of the clip. Always put the round head toward the front. If you get your pliers' jaws to grip the clip and the pin just right, you squeeze (again using the last bit of travel, to keep the jaws parallel), and the split end should open and pop over the rear pin. Voila, you're done.

For press-on links, you use the same method as above. The key is the hex nut. It allows you to press the plate down without the pins' getting in your way. The press-ons are easier to replace, because once you get the plate pressed down, it stays there, allowing you to use both hands to get the clip on.
This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. I can now remove a link in about two minutes, and replace it almost as fast. But there is no reason to replace your masterlink every time you break the chain, if you don't pry the clip off and bend it, as most people do. Hope this long-winded missive helps.
PS I've heard of someone using two small pieces of wood (one on each side of the chain) to compress the links together. The pins will go into the wood while the link is compressed. Once compressed, it usually stays until the clip can be attached.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Well this is not the first time my shortcut typing has come up.I sincerely hope the content of my reply is worth the trouble of decoding it.Should this also be an issue keep skipping over my replies,perhaps i should stop posting?...................tho i hoped it was bout helpin n such ,u know whatcha say not how ya say it.i always try to help if i can ,i don't need this ****!

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Well it doesn't sound like a very good bag to me, just ask "Canadian Dave".

He lost hundreds of dollars of jets , needles and slides out of his bag.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Gooby;
You keep posting bud. I think (and believe the majority do to) that your posts are quite valuable. You post good info and it is indeed appreciated!
Lew

Top Bottom