Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LongGone said:
Let's get something straight. Boots won't protect you from breaking an ankle or leg. They do protect against scrapes and bangs etc.
Did you read this some place, I know it's not from any recent experience :laugh:

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
I like my Thor Impact Rig. It gives me coverage on the elbows, shoulders, forearms, chest and back.

The one I posted the link to also has this protection. My Thor Rig cost me about $140.00

I don't ride MX, I ride trails so maybe someone who rides MX could chime in and give you an honest evaluation of this type of protection for that type of riding.

I don't need a CP with it, since it has one. I would say, try one. For $75.00 you can't beat it.. If you don't like it you'd have no problem selling it for atleast what you paid for it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
LongGone said:
Let's get something straight. Boots won't protect you from breaking an ankle or leg. They do protect against scrapes and bangs etc.

I gotta call BS on that one. :nod:

A good pair of boots will most certainly protect you from breaking an ankle. will also protect you from breaking your foot and toes. I had an old pair of floppy Garne's that were very comfortable. A little too floppy and comfortable because after smacking a rock at speed one time, I managed to break all of my toes and turn them backwards in my boot. Ever try to get your boot off when your toes are pointing the wrong way? :yikes: I spent the extra money for a good set of Alpinstars and now I don't worry about my feet.

My chest protector saved my bacon a couple of times too. Once in a GP, on the transition from a dirt section to a paved section, I went over the bars and landed on my back. Slid about 30 feet to the curb. Got up and finished the race. The back of my chest protector was gouged and scraped up like you wouldn't believe. I keep that CP around just to show people what can happen or what would have happened to me had I not been wearing my CP.

The second time was a few years ago when I came up short on a double and landed on my left side. Broke most of the ribs on my left ribcage but I am convinced I would have died without the CP.

IMO, a good helmet is first. Not a $100 helmet but a good helmet. If you think your head is only worth $100 then buy a $100 helmet. :coocoo:

Second. A good pair of boots. For reasons already covered.

Third. Gloves, riding pants and jersey. Get a pair of pants with knee cups and hip pads. These are just basic protection and you can find last years or discontinued models fairly cheap online.

Fourth. Chest protector. Lots of good ones for around $100 bucks. A cheap one is better than none at all.

Fifth. Knee braces. Expensive but, a lot less than ACL surgery.

It's the protective gear that keeps us old guys riding into our retirement years. When I first started riding we wore open-face helmets, T shirts and jeans and linemans lace-up boots.

Now, by the time I get all of my gear on, I am too tired to ride and I look like Darth Vader. But I know if I go down, I can get back up and brush myself off and continue on.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Ol'89r said:
I gotta call BS on that one. :nod:

A good pair of boots will most certainly protect you from breaking an ankle. will also protect you from breaking your foot and toes. I had an old pair of floppy Garne's that were very comfortable. A little too floppy and comfortable because after smacking a rock at speed one time, I managed to break all of my toes and turn them backwards in my boot. Ever try to get your boot off when your toes are pointing the wrong way? :yikes: I spent the extra money for a good set of Alpinstars and now I don't worry about my feet.

My chest protector saved my bacon a couple of times too. Once in a GP, on the transition from a dirt section to a paved section, I went over the bars and landed on my back. Slid about 30 feet to the curb. Got up and finished the race. The back of my chest protector was gouged and scraped up like you wouldn't believe. I keep that CP around just to show people what can happen or what would have happened to me had I not been wearing my CP.

The second time was a few years ago when I came up short on a double and landed on my left side. Broke most of the ribs on my left ribcage but I am convinced I would have died without the CP.

IMO, a good helmet is first. Not a $100 helmet but a good helmet. If you think your head is only worth $100 then buy a $100 helmet. :coocoo:

Second. A good pair of boots. For reasons already covered.

Third. Gloves, riding pants and jersey. Get a pair of pants with knee cups and hip pads. These are just basic protection and you can find last years or discontinued models fairly cheap online.

Fourth. Chest protector. Lots of good ones for around $100 bucks. A cheap one is better than none at all.

Fifth. Knee braces. Expensive but, a lot less than ACL surgery.

It's the protective gear that keeps us old guys riding into our retirement years. When I first started riding we wore open-face helmets, T shirts and jeans and linemans lace-up boots.

Now, by the time I get all of my gear on, I am too tired to ride and I look like Darth Vader. But I know if I go down, I can get back up and brush myself off and continue on.

+1 on all that. :nod:

And if not a knee brace at least knee pads, not hard to break your knee cap and knee pads are only 20$ for a decent pair.

LongGone

Nov 27, 2009
Then we'll agree to disagree. I can put on a brand new pair of boots tomorrow and still go out and break an ankle. If I'm putting that much stress on a joint, NO boot will withstand that pressure nor will the ankle. Oh well either way I'm not looking to turn this into 3 pages of I'm wrong and you're right. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LongGone said:
Oh well either way I'm not looking to turn this into 3 pages of I'm wrong and you're right. :)
Since it only took one post, the other 2.9 pages would just be rubbin' salt in your wounds anyway :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom