Chest Protecters: Important or Un-important?

How importanant are chest protecters?

• Very important

Votes: 106 68.4%
  • kinda important

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • not really important

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • useless

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Well my Leatt came this weekend and on sunday I tried riding with it, But it doesn't work good with my CP, so I took off my CP and it was way more confortable without it, and I rode without it again today. But I was wondering if I should get a better one and wear it, or just go without one.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I had a near broken rib incident without my CP - and I'll never go without one now. If you ever hit something the wrong way and get thrown into your bars, or a tree, or anything of the sort and you're not wearing your CP, you'll regret it. It may not be the most comfortable thing to wear in the world, but it's one of the most important parts of your riding ensemble.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Go to the Leatt website, I am pretty sure that there are guidelines for modifying your CP to work. It shouldn't take much more than a little trimming.

EDIT: I can't find that information on the website, but the September issue of motocross action has an article about the brace and they explain how to modify the protector on page 62.

Last edited:

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I love wearing mine. I look hardcore and it protects me. I have had countless times riding through the bush where a good sized stick comes out and me and pokes me right in the chest protector. If I hadn't been wearing it I could have had a few broken ribs or been impaled on the branch. So I consider them important yes.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I have taken a number of spills where I have been thrown (vs simply laying the bike down) and as I go tumbling across the rocks I can often feel the chest protector doing its job.

It has always been the spots without any protection that has suffered the most.

I won't ride without mine. If nothing else it protects me from the roost of my riding buddy.

Rod

May 10, 2007
yea i always wear it when im acually riding.

if im going through a field to a friends house i dont bother. but then im probably also riding a mellow 150F.

track or trails most definately on. i have taken spills that hurt with it on and most definately would have resulted in broken shoulder or ribs without it.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Well does anyone know a confortable under chest protecter that I could buy?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Both my husband and I wear our CPs and don't ride without them. We have the MSR Impact CPs and they work out great with our Leatts. We had to adjust them a little, but only by one or two notches on the adjuster for the backplate. The brace slips right into the shoulder cups and it all holds it well.

What kind of CP do you have?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I have some kind of a Thor one but it's to big and I want one to go under my jersey.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Thor Sentinel might work for you, I don't know about compatibility with the leatt. With and under jersey, you will probably have to cut the jersey to fit over the brace.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
150rguy said:
I have some kind of a Thor one but it's to big and I want one to go under my jersey.
My son Spider went to an under protector for the past 2 seasons but this year when he got the Leatt he switched back to an outside protector. I feel much safer with him this way and he says he also feels better.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I realized how important mine was when I cased a large double and my chest landed on the bar clamps. The clamps left a nice 1/4" deep inprint in the chest protector. All it did to me was knock the wind out of me, but w/o the chest protector i would have been in bad shape.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Bodge said:
I realized how important mine was when I cased a large double and my chest landed on the bar clamps. The clamps left a nice 1/4" deep inprint in the chest protector. All it did to me was knock the wind out of me, but w/o the chest protector i would have been in bad shape.

You might also want to get a bar pad...

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Chest protectors are very important.

Back in highschool I cracked one on a jump gone horribly wrong. I landed on top of the bike on my back and the footpeg punched into the chest protector. I was pretty much ok, and it could have been ugly without it.

A few months ago I broke another chest protector in a stupid accident not 50 feet from the parking lot. Went to jump down small hill with a 3 ft vertical at the top (so I couldn't just roll down it). At the last second a little kid on a quad came by and did a U-turn, coming right in front of my line. I stopped, but went about 6" to far and dropped the front tire, resulting in an endo down a 8-10 ft tall hill, with the bike squishing me at the bottom. Again, I hate to think what would have happened with no chest protector (broke the front plate almost completly in half).

Now I ride with an Alpinestar pressure suit. It's hot, the spine plate pushes my tool pack down, but I feel very safe in it, and now my elbow guards don't slide down and become wrist guards since they are built in.

Dec 10, 2006
how about something like this 150rguy?

revo5_07protector.jpg

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
if you want the issue of motocross action with the like 5 to 6 pages on making the leatt fit perfect i have it. i could mail it to you

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
JD_MXRacer said:
if you want the issue of motocross action with the like 5 to 6 pages on making the leatt fit perfect i have it. i could mail it to you
That's ok. I think I'll just get that EVO CP.

rod g

Sep 5, 2007
Well as a medic of motorsports medical services, I can tell you that THE ONLY moto-X patient I have treated with broken ribs Did not have a C/P on he did have 4 broken ribs a collapsed lung lost his spleen and lacerated his liver. Some of our riders sya they break clavicles I think a good trade. Are they needed in my book no more or less than a helmet. Not sure of makes but a lot of our riders have under shirt C/P's / rock guards I would also look into "hats off" they help after a crash and don't cost much. Hope this helps

jayden122

Aug 4, 2007
I personally think they're very important, i had a crash 2 weeks ago, i overshot a 50ft tabletop and slid along the ground on my back, my helmet got cracked and i would've broken vertabrae if i didnt have it, but instead just on my lower back i have fluid build up where i ripped my soft tissue off my muscle, but atleast i dont have broken vertabrae and a badly damaged spine!

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
ill chime in on this one if it wasnt for my chest protector i would more than likely be dead instead sitting here at my computer
10 broken ribs some in 2 places, bruised lung, lacerated liver
spent 2 weeks in induced coma because i could not breathe on my own and just about ripped my chin off my face
i hit a tree in 3rd gear after getting out of line in whoop section in the woods

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Nothing as severe as a few of the above, but one of my riding buddy's would have broken his shoulder or collarbone for sure had he not been wearing his when he hit a tree. Clearly they're a great thing and you are already working to find one that works with your Leatt brace, so good for you.

jayden122

Aug 4, 2007
sparkysakitas said:
ill chime in on this one if it wasnt for my chest protector i would more than likely be dead instead sitting here at my computer
10 broken ribs some in 2 places, bruised lung, lacerated liver
spent 2 weeks in induced coma because i could not breathe on my own and just about ripped my chin off my face
i hit a tree in 3rd gear after getting out of line in whoop section in the woods

geez man, i thought my crash was bad, how are you now ? are you able to ride again ?

Last edited:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Never throw a leg over without proper cover. The devices we have available are pretty cheap inusrance against injury. Take a little time and work with your gear, you should be able to make it all come together. I can see where the Leatt would tend to be a problem with the chest protection. I ride with the EVS RC3 and a Thor C/P. Works well, but not as much protection as the Leatt. All I want is a little protection ... without feeling like Forest Gump ... ;)

Top Bottom