Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
After glancing off a tree and practically knocking myself out when my head hit the dirt. i guess i shouldn't wait to long to get the rest of my protective gear. My shoulder hurts like hell btw and after reading the thread about busted collar bones i consider myself lucky not to have broken mine. I know nothing about chest protectors. What is a good to top notch protector for trail riding. I've seen some withjust shoulder pads and i believe others that have arm/bicep pads. gimme a quick education folks, i want to have one of these thing before my next ride!!!

thanks

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Whatever you buy get a model with suspended shoulder...Acerbis Zoom and zoom2 ,hi-point,HRP are like that ,the plastic is separated from your shoulder by a nylon mesh cup,offering much better protection than foam padding wich is totally inneffective.....i learned the hard way ..crashing with both style...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Acerbis Zoom II

I got the Zoom II this year and I like it. I like the extra protection it offers.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Look for something that has ribs or channels in the plastic as that type of design strengthens the unit and helps to spread the impact over a larger surface area. The suspension netting is the best at soaking up hits, but some riders don't like the bulky feel or find it too hard to fit under a riding jacket.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Another Fox Airframe owner.

Comfortable, good protection, good padding, fits nice, back pieces conform to your back shape, looks good...

LarryBoy

Jun 29, 2001
Great deal

I just picked up a Thor Aftershock which I think is pretty comfortable, it offers a large area of protection which I like in the woods. Allthough I have ridden with it, I have yet to crash with it on (knock on wood), so the verdict is out on it in that regards. I found it at www.BTOSports.com for $90 which seemed to be a good price, but then after I got mine, of course I found it cheaper ($65) at http://www.denniskirk.com in their "outlet" area. I had good service at BTO but I've never dealt with the other place... Good luck!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Here's a vote for the HRP

This is a great CP. It has the netting over the shoulders and it's like you're not even wearing it. It comes in 2 different sizes too.

crrider

Apr 21, 2001
Has anyone thought about just not riding because they are afraid of being hurt? After all, most of us are recreational riders who may race occasionally. Is riding a motocross bike worth it when you consider the consequences?

LarryBoy

Jun 29, 2001
Yeah, my brothers uncle had a friend who got died when he choked on a hot dog at a movie theater, so movies are out, hot dogs too. Then I heard about this person who broke up with a girlfriend, better not date. My dog died, I better not risk that again! I twisted my ankle on the sidewalk outside the house, better stay inside from now on. Uh oh, what about house fires,or earthquakes or carbon dioxide poisoning. I heard that microwaves cause cancer, and make the little guys swim funny....
I think riding is one of the few things that I love doing that I can (mostly) control the risks in. I used to ride on the street, not doing that anymore, but there are relatively few elderly drivers on the dirt. If there is a good chance that I will get hurt on a jump, maybe I better practice on smaller stuff first until my skills improve. If I might hit a tree coming around the next corner, maybe I should slow down until I know the trail, or can control my bike better.
Until I am medically declared dead, I intend to actualy LIVE my life...
If you choose to do otherwise and have good gear, let me know, I'll take it off your hands to keep you safe...(sorry for a bit of a rant)
But seriously that is a decision everyone should make on their own, and priorities do change in life so todays decision may not be right next year.

Last edited:

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by LarryBoy
[B. If I might hit a tree coming around the next corner, maybe I should slow down until I know the trail, or can control my bike better.
[/B]

Amen to that!! I was going a bit too fast on an unfamiliar trail trying to dust off my rusty riding skills!! Instead i was the one who got dusted!!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'll put my vote in for HRP, mine has webbing and padding in the shoulders. Fit is a little large for my skinny 135 pounds but it's not bad. The only thing I've seen that it doesn't have are the extra rib protectors like the acerbis CP's have, wish I could find some to add in to mine.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Got 'em all too----the wife does daycare, and the kids love 'em! And, believe it or not, all the parents, even the un-believing ones, love them too because of the moral values their children are learning.
BTW, great response to ccrider----couldn't have said it better!;)

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Re: Here's a vote for the HRP

Originally posted by RM_guy
This is a great CP. It has the netting over the shoulders and it's like you're not even wearing it. It comes in 2 different sizes too.

RM, just curious about the sizing deal. I ordered an XL (hasn't come in yet) as per the HRP guide, but am really wondering if I need it that big. The guide indicates that anyone over 180 lbs should go XL. I'm about 190, but 6'1" (about 42-44" chest).

Thanks,

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Re: Re: Here's a vote for the HRP

Originally posted by JTT

RM, just curious about the sizing deal. I ordered an XL (hasn't come in yet) as per the HRP guide, but am really wondering if I need it that big. The guide indicates that anyone over 180 lbs should go XL. I'm about 190, but 6'1" (about 42-44" chest).

Thanks,
I'm 210 and 6' and I got the XL. I talked to them on the phone and I asked that if I lost the 20 pounds that I want to, would it still fit. They said it would. I thinkl if I had gotten the large, it would have been to snug even at 190 pounds.

If you have a concern, just give them a call. Their number is in the mag ads.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks RM, I should be OK then, as lately it seems that I only seem capable of gaining weight, not loosing :( I was just picturing this "barn door" on my chest :scream:

slowmo

Jun 28, 2001
Your XL may fit a little large. My recently purchased XL is a tad big for my 39 year old, ever softening, 6'2", 195lb build. I was quite surprised; I assumed it would be perfect. It probably looks OK (I haven't exactly stood in front of a mirror!) but it fits quite loosely. I can't tighten the waist straps any further.

Top Bottom