EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I'm looking at a 2500 Suburban. The "more is always better" part of me wants to get the 8.1L engine. My more pragmatic side says: "I should check with the good folks on DRN before I buy." To that end, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone familar with both the 8.1L and the 6.0L GM engines. The following inforamation may be helpful.

1) The main use for the vehicle will be as a daily driver.

2) I will put bigger, but not huge, tires on the truck (and I don't want to lose all of my acceleration).

3) Right now, the only towing/hauling I do is pulling a few bikes on a utility trailer or w/ the motojack rack. I say I'll do more one day, but, in reality, that's a bunch of B.S.

4) How much worse is the gas mileage on the 8.1 compared to the 6.0L when the vehicle is unloaded/not towing as well as when the vehicle is under a heavy load?

5) Does the fact that the 8.1L puts out its HP/Torque at lower RPM than the 6.0L affect the "driveability" (for better or for worse)?

6) How much difference in fuel economy and in performance would the 4.10:1 final drive ratio as opposed to th 3.73:1 ratio (I'm thinking that the lower gears may compensate for the bigger tires I want).

Once again, thanks in advance for any thoughts, answers or advice any of you may have for me.

I wish all of you the happiest of years, as well as many riding days, in 2003.

--EBOD

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
8.1 for sure! The company prez had one of those transformer trucks in 4x4 2500 flavor with the 8.1 and hated the truck so he got a 2500HD extra cab 4x4 with the 6.0 and it's a weak puppy with anything more than golf clubs in the bed. The 8.1 seemed to shift a lot less, was liquid smooth torque from idle on up, I can't comment on the mileage since I didn't gas it up. I thought I heard that the DMAX was going to make it's way into the 'burpin but can't remember when.

Top Bottom