Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The crazy weather and the 40 mph winds here in Chicago made the sky look especially cool last night, so I grabbed a few shots while I was out on call for work last night.

This city is a real photographer's paradise. :cool:

I have to dig through and find the keepers but here is one I like with 2 different post processing approaches.

Attachments

• Lasalle_bridge_1742_BW_NegB_DRN.jpg
    Lasalle_bridge_1742_BW_NegB_DRN.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Lasalle_bridge_1742_NX_DRN.jpg
    Lasalle_bridge_1742_NX_DRN.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 198

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I like the first one Rich, the second one reminds of some old sci-fi movie set for some reason. One of these trips down to Indiana I'm going to have to take the city route to at least see downtown Chicago.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I agree on liking the first one better. the colors and mood of it on top of the sharp features make it really stand out.

Now a technical question-
When I took a photography class back in college (and no Brady was not the teacher) I ran into the perspective making the buildings appear to lean. I vaguely remember the teacher telling me a secret on how to minimize or eliminate the effect- but I just can not remember what he told me anybody have any ideas?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
that is really nice.... I like the first one.

where in chicago is that?

I have some cousins who live in the suburbs.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
One of these trips down to Indiana I'm going to have to take the city route to at least see downtown Chicago.

Make sure and let me know when you do Doug. :cool:

Okiewan said:
A Tilt-Shift lens. No other wat to do it going that wide.

Bob is right, the guys who shoot those insanely detailed, and perfectly alinged images like this do it with big dollar tilt/shift lens gear. I've found that you can minimize the effect somewhat by paying attention to the relationship between the horizon lines, the building lines and the plane of the sensor. Sort of like macro in that respect. I use a little bubble level on the hotshoe of my camera to help me pay attention to that relationship. It helps, but I still have a lot to learn about how to best exploit the difference between staying parallel and purposely shifting it off plane. I found this stuff out from goofing around with my fisheye lens. If you do it right (which I rarely do :) ) you can produce shots that don't even look like they came from a fisheye or super wide angle lens.

People say you can correct it in Photoshop as well, but I think it's more fun trying to learn how to get the image right in the camera.

If I were smart I would just shoot multiple shots in a panoramic view with an optically perfect narrow angle lens like an f1.4 50mm lens with the camera mounted on panoramic clamp with a nodal slide and just stitch them together. .............. hmmmmmmm now there is an idea :clue:

schmanman said:
where in chicago is that?

It's the 300 block of North LaSalle, on the LaSalle bridge facing east towards Clark Street. See the map below.

Attachments

• lasalle_bridge_map.jpg
    lasalle_bridge_map.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 181
  • b337.jpg
    b337.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 172

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I'm no photog expert, but from the posts on here, it appears that Rich is!

We've had our moments, Rich, but you're certainly a talented guy.

I loved Chi-town the couple times I've been there.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
robwbright said:
I'm no photog expert, but from the posts on here, it appears that Rich is!

I appreciate the kind words Rob, but count on the fact that I'm just a guy with a camera who is fortunate enough to have interesting things nearby to point it at.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Another from the same night.

I'm convinced there is a great picture SOMEWHERE from this angle. I just couldn't find it on this go round. :bang:

Attachments

• Oriental_1709_BW_sepia_split_DRN.jpg
    Oriental_1709_BW_sepia_split_DRN.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
Another from the same night.

I'm convinced there is a great picture SOMEWHERE from this angle. I just couldn't find it on this go round. :bang:

I must be not be a good critic. I actually like this Wicked pic.

But where the heck are you shooting it from?? I can't figure that out.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I shot it from the 46th floor of the Chase Bank building.

Top Bottom