jcorbat

Aug 9, 2004
I am just south of Milwaukee and get awefully tired of driving through Chicago to get to the Michigan trails (although Evart rocks!).

I'd like to check out Forest Islands just north of Green Bay. Send an email and let me know if you are interested.

Regards,
Jeff

Venom01

Sep 7, 2004
im dying to go out to an actual place, just local stuff for me. but green bay is like 7 hours from here. lemme know if theres something closer

jcorbat

Aug 9, 2004
I guess it depends on where you are in Chicago, but even the south side shouldn't be more than 4 hrs to Green Bay. I am in Racine and it's 1 hr to downtown Chicago and a little over 2 hrs to Green Bay.

Pull out a Wisconsin or Michigan map and look just north of Green Bay to find Marinette/Menominee. Just a little north of that is Cedar River. The trails (Forest Islands) are a couple miles northwest from Cedar River. I'm guessing 3 to 3.5 hrs from Racine or 5hrs from Chicago.

My bike is in Michigan currently 'cause I blew out a trailer hub at 80mph on my way back from riding in Grayling, MI (sweet ride!!!). I'll have it back in a couple weeks though.

Let me know if you'd like to ride towards the end of October. I will keep riding until there's snow on the ground and it gets to 20deg. I have riden in snow but it's pretty dangerous.

Regards,
Jeff

jcorbat

Aug 9, 2004
Trust me...there is nothing closer! I have been here for 6 years and the only trails within 3 hours of here are Black River Falls (central Wisconsin) and Cedar River (just above Green Bay). Everything else is for pedal bikes or horses. Michigan is WAY better for trail systems. They rock!!!

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Cedar River is not worth a 5 hour drive. Most of the riding there is on trails as wide, or wider, than fire roads. I'd say there's less than 5 miles of true single track. LP of MI is better.

jcorbat

Aug 9, 2004
Hoosierf...really? I've never been to Cedar River so I can't comment. I would second your comment on LP trails. We ride Grayling, Evart, Cadillac, & Kalkaska and those are some pretty sweet rides. Evart is my favorite 'cause there's no concern of ATV traffic. Our family's cabin is just 15 east of Cadillac so we are within 30~45mins of some of the best single track terrain anywhere.

I only suggested Cedar River 'cause it's a 3 hr drive for me...versus a 6 hr drive to Cadillac. If it's no good then I'll skip it. Thanks for the input!

By the way...my brother & I both ride CR250's (he lives north of Holland, Mich and I'm near Milwaukee, Wisc.) and we'd love to get a ride planned in Michigan. I'd have to drive through Chicago anyway and I have a two bike trailer if someone wants to ride along. There is a really cool rustic campground just west of the Kalkaska loops that's pretty sweet.

Regards,
Jeff

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
If you are willing to go as far as Cedar River, I'd try Bass lake or one of the other UP destinations. I've ridden the Cedar River loop a few times and literally half of it, or more, is on sencondary dirt roads. It's an hour form here, so I sometimes hit it alone really early in the morning when I'm up at my brother's in Octonto Falls. The ORV park in Wisconsin Rapids really is more fun in my opinion.

Jake 76

Sep 17, 2004
I feel your guy's pain. I live in Brodhead (25 miles straight south of Madison) and I can't find any decent trails anywhere near me. Going to Michigan seems to be the best option (my brother living up in Cheboygan helps).

Top Bottom