Carlyjenna

May 30, 2007
I am a twenty year old female and am getting my first big bike (I own an XR 50) and need help. Help pick new bike! Here's the form I found on a different post to help me....

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'3 120 lb.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? moderately aggresive (sports and previous riding)
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Probably tracks, with friends...
4) Do you have any riding experience? A tiny bit, a couple years on 50's and quads.
5) Do you think you will race ? probably not, but I would love to
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? No, sadly I know nothing about maintenance of a dirt bike and would need help from others on this.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I really like Hondas because I have a lot of friends that ride red, but I am open to others.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes I live by a bunch of dealers, whom have many brands, thats not a problem.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? I would like to stay significantly under $3000
10) Do you live in California? Sure do
11) Your age? 20
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
This is a first bike, I am selling my XR50 and getting a big bike and a trailer so I can LEARN to ride. I have friends that said they will take me out and teach me... but I would like an easy-to-learn, easy-to-ride bike that I would have room to improve on.

Thanks so much for any help!!!!!

Jan 3, 2007
I would say a Honda CRF150F or Yamaha TTR125LE. They are both under $3000 and are great to learn on and with the honda you can go further in terms of learing of ridding capabilitys.

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
Definitely go test ride some bikes, that's the fun part! I'm 39, 5'6", weight unavailable :-) and I ride a Honda CRF230F and a Suzuki RM85L depending on where we are riding. My husband insisted that we get the 230 instead of the 150 because I would end up outgrowing (ability-wise) the 150 and it wouldn't have the power I would eventually want from the 230. I kinda wish I would have learned on the 150 only because it was smaller and easier to handle on the trails in the beginning. I agree that with your height a CRF150 would be just the right size. Good Luck and have fun!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There are several factors that are at conflict for what bike I would recommend. Keeping the budget under $3k eliminates the new CRF150R that was my first instinct. The CRF150F and the TT-R recommend earlier are great bikes to learn on but they really don't belong on a track once you get any amount of experience so you'd end up upgrading very quickly. So in the end my take is the Suzuki RM85L or the Kawasaki KX100 would be what I'd recommend, both these bike will have a step learning curve but should be available easily within your budget and if proper care is excercised you can learn on them.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
find a 230 by honda or yamaha. i find that the ttr125's get boring really fast casue you have to keep them pinned to get anywhere. i just upgrade from a ttr 125 to a ktm 200 2t and man do i love the extra power. my mom on the other hand upgraded form a 125 to a ttr 230 and she couldnt ask for a better bike. smooth, not to tall, not peaky, and is the perfect bike for someone who isnt riding super hard and wants an easy ride.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
If you're willing to make the mods to a TTR125 once you start to become a better rider then I'd go with it. Just make sure you get the TTR125L - you don't even need the e-start, it starts pretty easily. I bought mine with the e-start but I don't have it anymore due to the new motor. Plus without the e-start it's a lighter bike.

At your height you would, in my experience, need to be on a shorter bike. I cannot ride a full size bike in any sort of difficult terrain at 5'5" tall. I tried riding a WR250 and it's too much both height and weight wise. Granted, the CR150F is lighter, it's still tall.

There are so many things you can do to the TTR if you get bored of it. For example, I rode my bike with the new motor in it this weekend - this motor has 24 ounces shaved off of the flywheel, which made it much peppier, and it is also ported (the intake I believe?). This makes it a new bike - and very fun! Plus if you wanted to eventually you can put YZ85 forks on it and a BBR triple clamp, which brings the bars up a bit.

I LOVE my TTR and I've put it through some pretty rough terrain with no problems. I also don't need to be WFO all the time on it.

All in all I've heard complaints about some of the Honda's because they're too tall for shorter riders and as far as I understand it's a bit pricey to have the suspension, etc. brought down for your height.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps!

wagoneer

Jun 18, 2007
My experience

Just thought I'd throw out my experience with a TTR-125L.

For me, it's been perfect. I am 5'2", with 2-3 yrs off-road experience. The TTR has been great because I've been riding the single track here in MI. The trails are tight and sandy, which lead to lots of low speed spills (it's not just me, honest). The little TTR is easy to handle, easy to pick up after falling, and generally best to horse around by hand which is often required here, and on my buddy's place when he decides to take on a cross country tour (straight through the woods). It has plenty of pep there. On the open two-tracks, I could stand for more but it is not slow or boring, ever. I've never taken it to an MX track, but I have heard it won't take much in terms of jumps, etc.

I do feel like I am starting to 'outgrow' the bike in terms of experience and kinda wish I had gotton the Honda CRF150, but the price was hard to beat as I was looking at $2300 for a brand new TTR, or $4500 for the Honda. I have ridden both TTR-225's and a CRF230 and they are just to big for me on the single tracks. On forest roads, they would be fine, but they seem heavy.

I recommend you look into what riding you plan on doing and take our advice based on that. I think it is much easier to learn on a slightly smaller bike than you'll want for rest of time. It has also been my experience that guys that are 5'11" and 200 lbs have little appreciation for what it is like to barely be able to touch the ground or pick up the bike after 3 hrs of riding.

One last suggestion is look at used bikes, but not OLD bikes. A bike in good running condition, good tires, etc, is well worth the price.

May 10, 2007
are both more then 3k

i would go for the ttr125.

if you would spend more i would get the 150r. great bike i wouldnt get the 150f though cuz its very heavy. i mean heavy almost as much as a CRF250R and its probably half the power.

the ttr is a good bike though good to learn on and lots of fun to play around on.

Jan 3, 2007
flyingfuzzball, the TTR is kind of top heavie while the CRF150F has its mass central in the bike making it seem lighter. I would go for the CRF150F because you will be able to ride it longer.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
i would say crf150r. my little brother has one he is 11 years old and weighs probably 100 lbs and is 5'5 and it is great he can pick it up when he splills it and he can touch the ground on it and has all the power he needs. he can wheelie it in about every gear. its a super sick bike for the price in fact i saw one in the idaho falls thrify nickel for $3500 last week or so.

werty1234

Jun 24, 2007
I think a 230 is a perfect bike for learning how to ride. its big
enough so you wont grow out of it and and pretty powerful
too. I ride a 230 and its great :cool:

May 10, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
flyingfuzzball, the TTR is kind of top heavie while the CRF150F has its mass central in the bike making it seem lighter. I would go for the CRF150F because you will be able to ride it longer.

my friend has a 150f and it doesnt seem that light when picking it up. (its an 06)

but they are pretty much the same. the only difference i have noticed is the ttr has more pick up while the crf has a higher top speed (well duh...) but doesnt have much pick up.

just things i have noticed. if you can get a good deal on the 150r though i would most def go for that. it is a great bike. on downside it would have (if comparing it to the ttr and 150f is that it doesnt have an elec start but its a racing bike. it is easy to start anyways though. once its broken in you can get it on first or second kick)

i find that 230's for their size and wieght have very little power. they are too heavy for me. (i like light fast bikes though)

Jan 3, 2007
flyingfuzzball, if you uncorck the CRF150F or 230 they become much more fun to ride, also the 2006 has electric start witch makes it heaiver. I too like lighter and smaller fast bikes besides the Yamaha IT400 and IT465.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Everyone keeps going back to the CRF150F and 230 or even the TT-R, none of these bikes have any business on an mx track which is where the original poster says she wants to ride. If you can't put the CRF150R into the budget then the only option I see is a big wheel 85 or the KX100.

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Depending on where you live in California (I'm in the Los Angeles area), I have a newer Honda CR80 and an older Kawasaki KX80 (both 2 stroke racing bikes) that you are welcome to test-ride and determine if this type of machine is a good fit. While lacking the power valve system (as in newer RMs and KXs), the size,weight, and power of either of these is similar enough to at least see if you want to pursue a 2 stroke race bike or go with something a bit more tame.

I also have access to a Yamaha TTR-125 (four stroke, more tame), which I am sure I can talk my buddy's daughter into letting you test ride as long you follow the rule of "you break it , you fix it"

Gregg

B

biglou

Chili said:
Everyone keeps going back to the CRF150F and 230 or even the TT-R, none of these bikes have any business on an mx track .
Mine does! :p

PS: The original poster of this thread hasn't logged on since one minute after she started this thread, lol! :nener:

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I'd probably go with a small two stroke if you're going to go to tracks because a TT-R will get you no where there. An older RM 85, CR 80, or even KX100 would be good for you.

gkoenig

Feb 19, 2007
My wife started out woods riding on a CRF230, wayyyyy too heavy for woods.

We bought a CRF250X and had it prfessionally lowered, it was better becasue the weight was lower in the chassis, she is an aggresive rider and this bike was perfect for her, electric start is an absolute must have.

Now she is riding the CRF 150f and absolutely loves it. It is light enough and small enough for her to get crazy on but tame enough to work the technical woods riding.

In our experience, the 150F is the only way to go for trail riding, if you are gonna race M/C go with a lowered 250F.

Top Bottom