Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Since it is winter according to the calendar, although you could have fooled me as it was 70 here, I thought I would start a little ******* match between the bean and no bean folks.

Post up your best and take a beating from the other side. :)

I'll toss out a classic Dallas favorite that I found on the web today.

Shanghai Jimmy's Texas Chili
For use in Chili Rice

Ingredients:

2 lbs. beef - lean chili cut (I have found that a nice lean roast ground into chili meat works best)
6 beef bullion cubes
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons cooking oil
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red pepper (this is his recipe. You might adjust to your taste)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
4 teaspoons cumin
4 tablespoons chili powder (again, adjust to your taste)
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons corn meal
4 teaspoons lemon juice (see alternative ingredient at the end of the recipe)

Recipe:

Allow about 2½ hours to prepare.

Heat two tablespoons cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chili meat and fry for 15 minutes. DO NOT STIR THE MEAT.

Turn the meat, without stirring, and cook for another 10 minutes.

While you are doing this put 6 cups of hot water in a 4 quart pot and dissolve the bullion cubes. When the beef is cooked break it up and add to this stock. Add the bay leaf. Add one additional cup of water. Be sure to use the grease that cooks off the meat in addition to the meat itself. Cook this for 1½ hours over low to medium heat (slow boil). You may cover the pot if you wish.

At about 1 hour and 20 minutes combine the following ingredients in a mixing bowl: Sugar, salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder.

Stir to mix well. When mixed stir it into the stock and leave at a slow boil for 10 minutes (leave the pot uncovered)

Mix the flour and the corn meal well. You do not want any lumps in this. Then add ¾ cup of water to form a watery paste. Once again stir well to eliminate any lumps. Then add this mix to the chili. This is the thickening agent.

Stir well and continue stirring for 5 minutes at a slow boil.

Cut the heat to below a simmer and add the lemon juice. In place of the lemon juice you may use 2 teaspoons of cider vinegar or 4 tablespoons of sherry if you like. Whatever you use, stir it in well.

Transcribers note:

I have successfully multiplied this recipe to make up to 10 gallons of chili at a time. The only alteration was that I often used less meat than would be called for with a straight multiplication of the ingredients.

While the recipe on the LP does not mention the rice or the way to mix the chili with it, here is my method based on experimentation and memory of how Shanghai Jimmy did it:

I always use Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. It seems to divide into individual grains and stay firm. When I use this rice it is most like what I remember eating at Shanghai's places.

As I recall he would add a pat of butter to the bottom of the Styrofoam cup and then add a layer of rice. Next he would add a layer of chili. This repeated at least two times. I never had mine with cheese, onions or celery so I am not sure when he added these ingredients. My thought is on top but I could be mistaken.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
And the down and dirty version ...

"SHANGHAI JIMMY'S" CHILI AND RICE

2 cans of Wolf Brand chili without beans
1 cup long grained rice cooked in 2 cups of water until done.
(method: bring water to a boil, add rice, cover, lower heat and cook for 15 minutes until done. Remove from heat, fluff with fork and cover again to keep rice warm).
Cheddar cheese grated
Green onions chopped finely including tops.
Picante Sauce
Tabasco Sauce

Heat chili until bubbly. Pour chili over rice and top with cheese, onions, picante sauce, and Tabasco sauce to taste. Serve with tostado, or tortilla chips. This dish was invented by "Shanghai Jimmy" in Dallas, Texas

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Tony Eeds said:
2 cans of Wolf Brand chili
[banner]without beans[/banner]

:)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Rice is acceptable but beans are not? :coocoo:

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
VD, aren't you gonna post your award winning New Mexico Chile Recipe?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i was referring to the fact that anyone would use and accept canned chili. if it comes from a can, it's not chili.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
VintageDirt said:
Recipe? :rotfl:
VD doesn't have a recipe, per se, he just stands at a big pot all day with a CZ apron and a cooler full of beer and throws stuff in until it looks edible.

and it burns going in and out! :yikes:

[banner]and all chili needs beans![/banner]

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
[banner]Good Chili Don't Need No Stinkin' Beans![/banner]

[banner]More Meat - Less Filler![/banner]

[banner]Gosh![/banner]

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
[banner]You have to use Stinkin' Beans, non stinkin' beans are no fun[/banner]

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
-1 big cast iron pot with lid
-1 big knife
-1 big wood spoon
-1 big fire
-1 big hunk of beef
-1 big hunk of pig
-1 big hunk of Bambi
-1 big yella' onion
-1 big can of crushed tomatas'
-1 big bag of secret spices
-1 big can of smoked jalapinos
-1 big handful of mesa flour
-1 six pack of beer
-1 big bag of beans, any kind.

-Put big cast iron pot on big fire and get it hot.
-Hack hunks of meat into 1" or so chunks of meat with big knife.
-Brown meat in big hot cast iron pot.
-While meat is browning chop up big onion with big knife.
-Dump off grease from meat by Rooster's camp.
-Throw onion, crushed tomatas, smoked peppers in big hot cast iron pot and let if cook for a while with the lid on.
-Throw in big bag of secret spices and stir it up and put the lid on.
-Let it cook more.
-Crack a beer or two and dump it in when the chili is getting thick and stir it up.
-Let it cook more.
-Drink 2 beers
-Throw another beer in along with the mesa flour and stir it up.
-Drink the last beer while it cook more.
-When big wood spoon stands up in the pot of chili it's done.
-Throw big bag of beans in trash!

Find some friends with beer and let them have some chili for some beer. If they ask where the beans are they are not people you should hang out with. Take a few of their beers and find new friends that know [banner]REAL CHILI DON'T HAVE NO BEANS!!![/banner]

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
JPIVEY said:
I want beans damnit :bang: beans beans beans gimme beans
They are in the trash where they belong.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XRpredator said:
but it has flour? :coocoo: silly texans
Not just any flour, mesa flour (i.e. ground corn). Unlike beans which just take up valuable space that should be reserved for MEAT all this product does is add a little flavor and thickens it up some. Besides didn't you know, you can eat real chili with a fork and not have any left in the bowl, unlike veggie soup.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Patman said:
They are in the trash where they belong.

So, what do ya do when the chilli is all gone, sit around the camp fire and staring at each other in silents ??, chilli should have that certain musical and intertainment quality to it.........here light this :moon:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Without all the extra bean bloat there is room for more beverages, this of course leads to lots of entertainment.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
Without all the extra bean bloat there is room for more beverages, this of course leads to lots of entertainment.
There's always room for adult beverages, silly texan.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Recipe for chili that is just wrong, its kind of a south western jambalaya.....what you got, is what’s in it as long as it has meat and ciann (spelling?) peppers. Just don't ask Old Guy, cause being from southern WI he is sure to use noodles...... :bang: :laugh:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Patman said:
Not just any flour, mesa flour (i.e. ground corn).
While I will concede to your extensive chili knowledge, I must take exception with your knowledge of Mexican. A mesa can be a geological feature (plateau) or table. Masa is corn flour and can be used for chili or corn tortillas or tamales. So, you could eat your chili while standing on a mesa or you could put a bowl of chili on a mesa. But if you're putting mesa in your chili then that explains why I whupped your azz in the chili contest two years in a row. :nener:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
It ain't good chili unless you have Hatch Valley Green Chiles! I'm sure that's why VD bests Patty each time. :cool:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
kmccune said:
ciann (spelling?)

"cayenne"

I would have to agree with VD on the mesa vs masa theory, Pantsman. Although I got a kick out of the image of you shoveling some of that there "mesa" into a measuring cup.

I prefer "no beans" however.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
VintageDirt said:
But if you're putting mesa in your chili then that explains why I whupped your azz in the chili contest two years in a row. :nener:
Mesa, masa ,potato, patoto whatever. Maybe it was because with 7 pound of meat and no "filler material" I run out before all the veggie soup variants? :p

Top Bottom