Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Well after chipping my clutch cover near the release shaft on saturday and not even getting to ride hardly at all. I got the Clutch cover cover off tonight and the clutch release shaft out and the good news in the shaft is not bent. The seal is toasted and I'm going to replace the needle bearing for good meaure. The clutch cover is chipped in the race for the oil seal around the clutch release shaft. The question would be should I just try to bang a new seal in there and put it on and hope it does not leak or do I J-B weld up the race and try to get it smooth and round enough to hold the seal?

Here are some pics. One of them is kind of hard to make out.

chip1.JPG

chip2.JPG

B

biglou

Dan-I'd go ahead and try the JB. Clean and rough up the mating surfaces where the JB will go, and then smooth it into as close to shape as possible, then use a jeweler's file or a nail and some sandpaper to get the final shape. You can work it some before it's completely cured, too. This makes it a bit easier. Is this on top of the case like on the 426? If so, I would think the possibility of a leak would be minimal.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Yep, Its on top of the case. It don't realy think it holds in a lot of pressure. I just need a good surface to mate against the seal so it won't leak. I was thinking that the 12 hour stuff would do O.K. I actually thought of finding a dowel or metal rod of the same diameter for the shaping.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We JB Welded a clutch cover on my YZ 125 and it worked fine. On the YZ 125 cover, there is a bolt that goes through the clutch cover and into the clutch actuator arm and we stripped out the threads. JB Welded the bolt into the hole and rode that way for a month or two, but eventually ordered a new clutch cover.

Top Bottom