pj72285

Apr 3, 2004
i just drained the tranny oil on my 99 KX250. instead of nice clean oil it came out milky and brown like chocolate milk. i know that coolant has to be getting in somewhere but im not sure where to start. any ideas?

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
its either coolant or water. or even just old oil. usually water in the oil makes a greyish color, where old nasty oil is light brown like your describing. however a tiny bit of water could have gotten into the transmission via the crankcase breather tube, have you gone through any deep puddles? also, it is possible to force water in with a pressure washer. highly unlikely but possible ;)

check your radiator fluid, if it is low that's your problem. *brain fart* i cant remember which gasket/seal it is that would cause coolant to get in.... hmmmm.... :think:

if it were me, i would change the oil and see what it does. i change the tranny oil every 3 (significant) rides, or about every 6-8 hours ride time and its always at least a little contaminated, every time you stab the clutch those plates are wearing out and the slop goes straight to the oil!

Rob

pj72285

Apr 3, 2004
i did go riding yesterday on some trails that were full of water. i checked the coolant level and it seems to be about the same. i just changed the oil and i am going to go riding and see what happens. thanks for the help

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
My bike did this once after a very muddy day with lots of puddle crossings. The bad colored oil never returned again. I suppose the water was sucked in through the crankcase vent.

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
it sounds like dirty oil-coolant or water USUALLY looks lie a vanilla milkshake or something-i change my after every significant ride-or at least i try to-

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I have seen the water pump seal go and dump into the tranny oil. Most likely water from the vent, best way to tell is take a clean empty glass jar and dump your old oil in, cover the jar and let it sit, the water and oil will separate and you should be able to tell if its water or anti freeze thats in the oil.

sean hodges

May 20, 2004
pj72285 said:
i just drained the tranny oil on my 99 KX250. instead of nice clean oil it came out milky and brown like chocolate milk. i know that coolant has to be getting in somewhere but im not sure where to start. any ideas?

sean hodges

May 20, 2004
if the water level in the rad has droped then its the water pump seal, if not then water has enterd via the crank case breather. this is likely due to pressure washing.good luck dude mud 4 blood

Top Bottom