kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
i have an 01 kdx200 and when it is cold and i go to start it up with the choke on the first time the bike boggs and dies then the second time it boggs a little then clears up for the rest of the time i use it. i just recently but a leaner (45) pilot on it and havent touched the airscrew could it be that or what else could it be its really annoying.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
what it is you deem as annoying is something to be reasonably expected from a choke cold start and subsequent operation if it works fine '..the rest of the time i use it,' that is a description of a normal choke cold start although it's unlikely that a 45 pilot is what you should be running and not touching the airscrew is a considerable error on your part and speaking of annoying......

Cheers! ;)

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
Did it just start happening after you put that 45 pilot in? If the answer is yes, I would say do a back to back comparison of your stock pilot and the 45. And I agree with Canyncarvr, a 45 pilot might be too lean of a jet, if you have a stock bike. I have FMF exhaust, Boysen RAD valve/carbon reeds and tossed airbox and I was recommended a 45.

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
mines anything but stock i have pc pipe and silencer, uni filter, carbonfiber lt reeds airbox mod i run a 45 pilot 11/2 turns out on the air screw clip is one clip down from top on stock needle and 155 main

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A lot of 4-stroking going on even with a choke-cold start is indicative of a bit too rich a pilot (and maybe some needle 'issues'). In the end, the pilot is chosen based on off-idle throttle response.

I run a 38/40 depending on the weather and conditions. Sometimes a 35. Chances of a 45 being 'too lean' are about zip. Doesn't mean it's not right in a given situation. If there's an idea I said a 45 was too lean, there's some inbetween line-reading going on that I missed. ;)

Plug load-up after long idle periods (say a long downhill) is another 'too rich' pilot circuit indication. While a lot of kdxs do it, it sure isn't a given. You should be able to idle downhill as long as you want, reach the bottom, twist it and have instant response.....not a single burble.

If you are running what someone else recommended, chances are it's wrong. You are the only one that can effectively jet your bike.

Well...unless you have a good tuner watching, listening and observing your riding.

Doubt that.

Last edited:

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
CC is right.Take the time to experiment with your bike's jetting!Don't be affraid your going to ruin your motor.Take small steps.Make one adjustment at a time.Re-read the last line.Start with the main and work your way down to the pilot jet.When you get it right,you will know it!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The choke gives it more gas so naturally you can expect bogging or the engine to run faster(the main purpose). Feather the throttle and keep it running until the bikes warm and you turn it off.

DeSeRt_KaW

Sep 29, 2003
KDXMAN,

I have a 01' Kdx-200, and I think I know exactly what your talking about...When I start my bike on Choke *(Its a 2nd or 3rd kick bike)* I Give it some throttle, and usually it does bog down like its not getting gas or some****, But give it like 2 min, and You should have perfect throttle...

Hopefully, You get quite a bit of smoke when you first Start going, And it bogs down, but after like 2sec of full throttle, It stops bogging and runs Perfect... I havnt really asked around if thats a bad thing, I figure its just Moisture in the Pipe/SparkArrestor...But im not really sure.

I run a 150main
Stock Pipe, Stock Silencer
32/1 Mix

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Uh, exactly..Its not getting gas. When you give it throttle upon cold start, you are drastically LEANING the cold mix.

It is not a choke, it is an enrichment circuit. Opening the throttle leans the mix AND reduces vacuum so the enrichment circuit draws less gas, doubly leaning the mix.

Feather the 'enricher' a few times, don't touch the throttle to keep it running. In 45-60 seconds or so (+/- depending upon many factors) the throttle would expect to resond, and its warm enough to run on its own.

Feathering the 'enricher' after it fires keeps the plug nice and clean. Don't leave the enrichment circuit on until the the bike almost dies.

Also, jet to cure how the bike runs, not how it starts.

Last edited:

DeSeRt_KaW

Sep 29, 2003
Alright, So your saying the reason it bogs down is because the oil is all at the bottom at the hose, So you get alot more Oil to the throttle than the Gas....
Ok then, If I shake my bike around quite a bit before I start my bike, then the Oil will mix up with the gas more, and it wont Bog down as much or maybe will even stop...?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Uh, no..I never mentioned oil. Or hoses. Understand there is no choke plate to create vacuum and block the air. There is only an enrichment circuit that bypasses the jets. Open the throttle and vacuum is comprimised, and it won't draw the fuel it needs through the circuit, and the open throttle leans the Air-Fuel mixTURE with air, thus leaning beyond what the engine can successfully ignite when cold.

Last edited:

Top Bottom