Dec 3, 2000
i have a 91 kdx and in hot weather the choke won't stay up. i go to pull up on it and it just goes back down. is this normal or is there something wrong that i don't know about? is there a certain way to start it when is hot out cause i sure would like to know.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
The choke may have dirt or other crud built up around it. You can take it out by un-screwing it with (I believe) a 10 mm wrench take the choke assembly out clean it and the choke chamber.

Last edited:

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
I had a CR that had this same problem. Never figured out what caused it, just held the choke up and kicked.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
My '98 did the same thing. I removed the choke plunger and cleaned it off with brake cleaner. That helped it stick a little better. Then I pulled up the little rubber boot and put a small o-ring around the little plastic fingers that surround the actual plunger. That helped more. The only other alternative is to drop about $38 for a new one.
Not me.
:)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
My 91 choke doesn’t stay up but I just pull it with my finger & the bike always starts within 2 kicks so have never bothered trying to fix it. One of my other bikes has the same problem & cleaning it up didn’t help so I keep a clothes peg on the handle bar for the first start of the day.

motox

May 21, 2001
dhoward had the best advise. The little plastic fingers that are suppose to catch in a groove on the actual plunger are worn out. I thing the o-ring is a great idea. I moved the little rubber boot up on mine and circled a thin piece of wire around it an twisted it tight. Put the rubber thing back down and it is still working 10 months later. Also just hold it up and kick, once your bike starts you dont need it anyway.

Top Bottom