Chronic counter shaft seal leak

smirnov

Jun 10, 2000
2000 CR 250 - The counter shaft oil seal is leaking. I have replaced the seal twice. I get a few rides in and it starts to leak again. I have not encountered this problem in 12 years of riding, Could something be bent? Dirt buildup? Pressure? Any advice appreciated.

RiverRat

May 4, 2001
Sounds like you might have a bad C/S bearing. When the bearing wears (or you get a bad one) the counter shaft will have some slop in it and will stretch the seal causing the leak. Take the chain off and grab the sprocket. Lift up and down, and side to side. There should be no movement. If there is, it's time for a new bearing.

The other posibility is that the seal has worn a groove in the shaft collar and the seal no longer makes sufficient contact with the shaft to create a good seal. Hope this helps. . .

-RiverRat

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
I'm not sure on Honda's seal area but I had a seeper on my Suzuki RMX and it was the O-ring on the spacer that the seal rides on The countershaft sees no wear the spacer is the wear surface for the seal to ride on. The inside of the spacer has an o-ring to seal. See if the manual shows a spacer.

Top Bottom