Chrysler to be parted out!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
This is somewhat old news but I just heard about it. Nissan and GM are on the table to buy pieces but nothing is firm. Soon it will be the Big Two :(

DETROIT (AP) -- Chrysler LLC could be sold in pieces to other companies as its majority shareholder Cerberus Capital Management LP seeks to exit the auto business, according to a person briefed on the discussions…
Read the rest here: http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Source-Cerberus-Mulls-Selling-Chrysler-In-Pieces.aspx?menuid=38

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The article says it COULD be parted out, and its headline says Cerebrus is mulling over parting Chrysler out.

Yet your thread title implies the parting out is breaking news and is now underway.

Big difference between could be parted out and to be parted out. I hope no Chrysler employees were harmed during the reading of your thread title.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
cool car, I don't see why it took them so many years to do it. I mean, the public obviously loves the look of old muscle cars, hence their value. So why not produce a car that looks like that, with modern handling?

And the Hemi engine...these were like gold for years. The silly thing is, while they were exceptional for very heavy modification such as top fuel etc., for the average street car or weekend drag racer they really weren't much (if any) better than a nice big block Chevy. Their value increased to the point where if you had one, it was foolish to even run it for fear you would blow it up, damaging the block etc. Evidently they started producing these as a crate motor awhile back (and why not?) Although the modern "hemi" engine in cars such as this are totally different...the "hemi" badge is more marketing fluff than anything.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
snb73 said:
Perhaps this will make them some profit;

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/challenger/

Some profit, maybe, but not enough to cure Chrysler's problems. From the articles I've seen, they only ever planned to make 6,400 of them at most in 2008. Not sure if they are on target for that or not.

The Challenger is a nice car for sure, but the curb weight is 4,140 lbs! That is pretty porky, and cerainly effects the modern handling and braking.

If Dodge/Chrysler could shave 300 lbs off it, and keep the same price and all the goodies, it would be a lot more appealing, IMO.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
good point, I had no idea it was that heavy. Why the heck does it have to be that heavy? For example a Maxima is about 3450, only V6 but four doors and a lot of gadgets and power options.

Maybe the drivetrain is really beefed up to handle the power...I would still think that wouldn't add more than a hundred or two?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
most true muscle cars were in the 3800-4200lb range from 68-72 (add a drop top and many times they were over 4300lbs), nothing new with this one regarding weight

Factory lightweight racers such as the Ford Thunderbolt or the Chrylser Max Wedge cars were totally stripped of all carpet, sound deadener, accys (even radio), had alloy or glass front ends and still were lucky to get down to 3200-3400.

A frame and drivetrain that will handle the torque that big block screamers produce has to be beefy.

My guess is the Challenger is a combo of stout drivetrain and porky comfy seats, carpet, accys needed for todays consumer. Honestly, they would sell very few if they made a true lightweight factory racer.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
that is sweet...if this comes to fruition, I may very well try to move one of the drop tops and pick up one of these as a collector. Sounds like they are just producing a 100 units to meet NHRA requirements

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
CR Swade said:
most true muscle cars were in the 3800-4200lb range from 68-72 (add a drop top and many times they were over 4300lbs), nothing new with this one regarding weight.

Maybe most true muscle cars were in that weight, but the Challenger was a 'Pony' car, similar in size to Mustangs and Camaros. From what I could find on the web, the curb weights for the '70 model Challenger were in the range of 3300 - 3800 lbs, with the 440 at the top of the range.

BTW, Plymouth sold a total of 55,499 Barracudas and 'Cudas during 1970, and Dodge sold 84,032 Challegers that year.

Looks like the new Challenger is about 200 lbs heavier than a fully loaded new GT500 Mustang, too.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
my 4 speed Stage 1 GS455 hardtop had no A/C, no power windows or locks...just power disc brakes and its curb weight was 3550. Pretty light for a big block A body. My drop tops are porkers up around 3900 and 4100 lbs each (one is minus A/C, etc)

This new Challenger though...1000lbs and composite materials, that is true blue old school style like the cars I mentioned earlier. I'd love to find a Max Wedge with alloy front end or Thunderbolt but there isn't any way less than 75K would touch those cars. This new 3000lb Challenger with a 6.1 should be a screamer. I wonder if it can be had with a factory 3rd pedal?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
CR Swade said:
I wonder if it can be had with a factory 3rd pedal?

Doesn't look like it. :yell: WTF good is a muscle with a grannie trannie? :|

They sure are eye catching though. My local dealer has a black one and it is SHARP lookin'!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
An automatic tranny has its place, but when I think Challenger, I think of a 340 four speed, like this '70 T/A Six Pack.

Asking price $125,000.

Attachments

• 4 speed 340 six pack 125000.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 101

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
after a little research, they are all gone...this took place several months back and you had to have an actual NHRA race team. No collectors were allowed to purchase

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…