Circlip Removal From Kayaba Shock?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Removing the circlips that hold in the bladder and seal head is always such a pain for me. I'd love for someone to share a trick with me to make this easier.

Thanks

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
I did it once on a 1984 KX125 shock. I tried a lot of things, but a small, flat screwdriver worked for me, too. I needed something to get in behind the clip and pry it up and out.

I love it when the manual says "remove" something, but doesn't say HOW to remove it. GRRR.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I use a small screwdriver with a notch a couple of mm up the shaft - put screwdriver between circlip and body and then rotate screwdriver so cirlip falls in notch and then remove circlip.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
A hook. That is a good idea. I could use the little screwdriver, then put a hook behind it to keep it from going back into the circlip grove.

Thanks,
jasonwho

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
I'd like to second my own post. :-) I don't have a hook to use, but a small flat head screwdriver did the trick again about an hour ago on a 1987 Kawasaki KDX200 shock. This was the circlip by the seal head. After tapping the small flat head screwdriver with a small hammer, there was enough space to get behind it and just lift the circlip up, beyond the groove and out.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
A pick and a feller gauge or some thin shim stock works the clip out without too much scratching on the body .Theyre actually pretty easy as compared to a Yamaha road style or Raptor or Banshee shock with the sandwich type seal head . Youve got to compress the assy then pull the clip out.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Hmm. That makes me want to try a plastic flat head srewdriver. I have a few I got from Radio Shack to work inside TV's and monitors.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
A pick with a shallow curve to a hook is perfect.. The trick is to go down on the circlip then rotate with your wrist.. This works in a snap with no damage and one hand.. We get ours from from Farm and Fleet for about $3

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Hey! It's that guy from TV! :-) What show or race were you on? I can't remember what I saw you on. I was trippin out and screaming trying to explain to my girlfriend.

Thanks for the tip on the hook. I will have to get a set of hooks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…