CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Hi I just got my suspension back and I am currently stumped on my forks. I got them in clamped the pinch bolts down, I have them torqued down correct on each side but on the right side the top clamp pinching surface has almost closed itself together, meanwhile the left side has a small gap just the like every other clamping area.

Basically I cannot see threads on ONLY the top right side. Everywhere else is fine. Now this is torqued but should loosten it off to an equal gap? I don't want to pinch a tube or anything....what do I do??

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
As long as it is torqued correctly you should be OK. The uneven gaps are probably due to manufacturing tolerences.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
I'd like to add to make sure your bolts are well lubed so they give a acurate torque. They can get sticky and give false readings.

Regards,
Jer

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Allright thanks guys this whole reinstall has almost caused a heartattack at a young age. I am new to the torque wrench and at first I was torquing in newtons when I THOUGHT it was foot pounds, luckily I didn't break anything. So then i had to go over everything. I finally got the bike back together and I snapped off a bolt in the subframe to frame section. Finally I got it out and needless to say I am not riding today. :whiner:

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Reminds me of my first suspension exsperiment.. I was 9 or ten and added "a little too much air pressure in my forks.."

Regards,
Jer

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Jer do you think my very...ummm....idiotic conversion of newtons to ft.pounds did any harm to my suspension? On the forks they were too tight by 6 pounds, but on the axle nut it was about 20 :( Oh man. :whiner: I think I pretty much warped that left colar that goes on the wheel so I will pick a new one up tommorow :|

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Canadian,
No sweat, fix whats broke and move on. I think Nasa has lost a or two satelite over a conversion, so I wouldnt stress..

Regards,
Jer

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
LOL
Thanks Jer, Well I did some more investigating and I realized it's the axle that is causing the problem. It won't fit through the hole in the bottom of the fork anymore. I am wondering if that 20 pounds somehow warped the end of the axle or mushroomed it just enough :|
I still feel like a dope. I was just hopeing that the extra pounds on the axle nut didn't bend the forks or something stupid like that.

Like I said, what a weekend :whiner:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I saw your post in the Mods forum. Good thing you caught it before you rode the bike. You're not the first person to use Newtons instead of ft*lbs and you won't be the last :confused:

Top Bottom