Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A lot of you guys are familiar with the excellent posts from Clark Mason. A while back he bought an XR650R to add to his collection. I've been considering buying one for Super Motard use and I asked him for his impressions and what tricks he found useful. He was nice enough to allow me to share it with everyone so here's some great info on the XR650R. Enjoy.

Rich;

I purchased the XR650R because I was racking up too many miles on my WZ420 and the Yam was not the most comfortable bike on longer dual sport rides. The Big Honda was the only big BORE 4-stroke which was green sticker legal and can be legally plated through the Calif. DMV hassle free. I was of course concerned about the weight of the bike and yes it is heavy. But once over 5mph you never notice it as most of the weight is low on the bike. However, once set up for my riding style, weight, and uncorked---its a out standing machine. I have yet to fall off of the XR650R I cannot explain it but its balance and ability to handle high speed whoops and high speed anything are exceptional! I mean I was impressed and that's hard to do.

The bike handles all open terrain situations superbly when you get it on the trails that's when you notice the weight and must slow down a little but its still fun just don't get carried away. On longer dual sport rides there is no comparison between the Yam and the XR65, the big Honda is just superior in every way on the street. More comfort, taller gearing, big torque I like it. So my Yam will become a trail bike and also be used on the more technical dual sport events like "A" loops on all of the Dual Dogs rides.

My weight is between 220 and 230 depending on how strict I've been about getting on my tread mill. I replaced the stock 0.43 springs with 0.45 replaced the 9.5 shock spring with a 10.0, both springs are Eibachs which are made for this bike so the lengths are stock and no oddball spacer or any thing required. I had to have the base valves opened up in both the forks and the shock to pass a lot more oil in order to eliminate high speed harsh/non responsiveness and then modify the shim stacks for slow speed comfort we also increased bottoming resistance to not have a shocking experience on big g-outs and normal sized jumps. I took me two attempts but I have the suspension working exceptionally well now. George Capodieci at Scotts Performance Products worked with me to custom tune the suspension and turned out great. George has been doing my suspension for 17 years.

In the engine department first uncork it by replacing the intake manifold, opening up the exhaust, opening up the air box, and bumping the jetting (needle to #4, 68S PJ, and a 175MJ). This gets the bike going pretty well and after about 500miles it gets better.

I evaluated three exhausts on the XR; the stock with Hondas hop up baffle, a White Brother 'R" Series and a Pro Circuit T4 complete system. In addition I was unhappy with the stock carburetors off idle transient throttle response so I integrated and jetted a Mikuni TM40 pumper carburetor I had left over from on of my Husaberg 600 projects. I got this carb working much better than stock and the bike jumps to action of the bottom and never stumbles as it would occasionally do (always at the wrong time) with the stock round slide non pumper Kihen.

As to the exhausts the Honda Hop up baffle works well and is a huge improvement over the stock baffle. It pulls hard and consistently top to bottom. However, it is heavy and the weight is place high on the bike. I tried a WB "R" series (saves 3.5lbs) exhaust tail section and it looked great and also performed well. I pulls better on top and about the same on the bottom as the Honda Hop up baffle--an excellent choice. I then went to the complete ProCircuit T4 system this system also looks great on the bike and it performed better across the board than either the R series or the Honda Hop up baffle. It is a tad louder but still OK to ride out of my garage with. It saved 6lbs over the complete stock system. The T4 fit and finish were also out standing and its all stainless except for the Aluminum canister shell. The Mikuni and the T4 made the bike real come alive the thing is now very fast.

But since I'm recovering from a double hernia repair and have time on my hands I'm in the process of installing the complete HRC power up kit (11.5 piston, cam, cam chain-its wider than stock, cam chain sprockets, cam chain guides, cam chain tensioner, all gaskets, jets, needle, spark plug, HD clutch springs, etc). Should finish up the installation this week end. However, no riding for me for at least another month---So the results of my efforts will not be known for a while. All the correspondence I have read on this kit were positive and I cannot wait to try it out.

XR650R Problems

1. Rt. foot peg coming loose and cracking frame.---Make sure you have the Honda recommended washer behind the aft bolt there is a HONDA TSB. Buy and use Titanium bolts on this foot peg as the ti will not stretch like steel. Use antseize on the threads and torque to spec. Check every month/

2. Overheating is slower conditions. Uncork and jet up the bike its way too lean from the factory, buy and install a 1.8 bar radiator cap, remove the thermostat and put a washer with the same size hole as the open thermostat in where the thermostat was.

3. Clutch center bushing on some bikes has seized to the basket. Honda has come out with a revised bushing design which has two more oil holes and a internal relief area to allow increased oil flow. Honda part number 22116-MBN-671, get it and install it as it is a improved part.

4. Re-route the crankcase breather hose so it cannot get pinched between the aft portion of the tank and the frame.. When this gets pinched it causes the crankcase to over pressurize and blow the counter shaft seal -- A real mess and if unnotice can cause major engine damage due to loss of oil.

5. Replace the stock plastic skid plate with a sturdy Aluminum After market one.

6. Put real grease in the steering head and all suspension bearings.

Rich I like the bike; as it turned out to be perfect for my needs---If it was 20lbs lighter it would be a fantastic ride.

Clark Mason

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I just recently bought a 2000 XR650R. I came from a '96 XR400. The bike came with all the restrictions removed and intake manifold, a bigger main jet (not sure what size, yet) and a White Bros. E Series. I'm having trouble getting a steady idle, she likes to surge a bit. I'm positive that the stock pilot is too lean, even though opening the pilot screw helped alot. The bike is heavy, but isn't noticable while riding. For such a big/heavy bike it does have a very balanced feel, and the suspension and handling is worlds better than my XR400, so weight is not an issue for me.

I still have yet to get it past 1/2 throttle, and I'm still trying to get used to the power and the pull. She truly is a beast. On road, even with stock knobs, the bike feels solid. Acceleration is definitely there, and with stock gearing, she feels/sounds like she would cruise all day at 70+. On the trail, I can lug down to almost an idle in 3rd gear, and accelerate hard out of a turn with hardly a sputter. But at the same time, the gearing is a bit tall for the tight woods. I'm having trouble crawling slowly through stuff like I could on my 400 with stock gearing. I'm definitely considering dual sporting it, but I insist on making it work for me in my beloved woods. Just a little more practice. For a supermotard/dualsport/offroad bike, I can't imagine a much better bike for the price. I got my very low hours 2000 for $3200, which is right at trade in value. So, I'm very happy.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I rode a 650 a week ago at baja.

I was expecting it to pull harder on top than it did, it only had the power up kit.
It went through cross grain very nicely, and it felt like it had a lot of flywheel.
As Clark said, it is more comfy than a yz.
Countershaft seals are also known to be a problem area, and there is an updated one.
BTW, you can get the cs seal out w/o splitting the cases.

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
I am very close to getting my 00 XR650r ready to dual sport and to be inspected for a licenseable title, all I need is a mirror and some kind of lit speedo and I'll be ready, I can hardly wait.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I got a couple good rides in this last weekend. I put on just over 50 miles. I'm getting used to her very quickly, and I'm finding that the 650 handles and performs very well for a "Big Red Pig." Even in the tighter stuff, which is my best riding areas, she feels like a much smaller, lighter bike. I'm totally impressed so far, and I'm having a blast. Again, on some road sections I ride on, she gets to 60+ real quick, and just purrs like a kitten. I KNOW the BRP would make an excellent dualsport ride. In the not to distant future, I plan to get in touch with Vermont and see if I can get licensed in Florida. I can't wait until my next ride on the BRP!!!

brnjmsd

Sep 18, 2012
1993 xr600r

i just bought this bike and i love it nobody has these mid 90s thumpers in good shape. i read about you changing your cam chain are u possibly doing this because u are unable to properly adjust your valves. I am asking this because i am unsure whether to go after the possible worn cam or just go with the chain. Any help would be wonderful. Get well soon. oh and the timing mark dont line up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom