Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hey - I need advice on what I should do to clean the chain by a proffesional - I don't want to step it up or anything with special lube or anything if I don't want to but - the chain is really dirty with clay and was wondering what I should do if anything? Just wash it off a little with water and put some wd-40 on I was thinking?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chris99 said:
Hey - I need advice on what I should do to clean the chain by a proffesional - I don't want to step it up or anything with special lube or anything if I don't want to but - the chain is really dirty with clay and was wondering what I should do if anything? Just wash it off a little with water and put some wd-40 on I was thinking?

That's generally what I do, however, if it's real bad, I might even take the chain off and soak it in a solvent. Gas works in a pinch. And use a stiff brush on it..

Then dry and lube as normal.

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
I don't know what you consider real bad - its running fine from what I can tell its just it looks dirty and was wondering if I should give it a little wash - thanks.. And when im washing it anything i should try not to spray?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I tend to clean my bike after every ride.. and pay close attention to the chain.

Don't spray bearings or seals with a direct high pressure wash. I usually hand wash.

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hmm - I see. Could I spray with low power hose? Just like have it leaking? You know what I mean right?

edit : have the hose leak on it and then maybe rub dirt off with cloth then add some wd-40?

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
i just use kerosene to clean it, then once its dry, clean the kerosene off, and spray chain lube on it...lots of chain lube.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Soak in diesel fuel overnight. Tooth brush off the grime after soaking. Then blow out with brake cleaner to remove all left over grease, dirt and grit hidden in the contact areas. Then lots of the lube of choice (NOT that white Bel-Ray spray or WD-30). Then wipe off excess and let dry completely. Always use gloves - none of these chemicals are safe.

It's a ritual I always do after a good ride and I hate it but I have not worn out a chain yet with this method believe it or not. Never needed an O-ring chain either.

I would like to try that MX-1000 lube mentioned before but I hear it may not be available any longer?

Good luck.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
Dont know if ya still need advice but here it goes
if it is o-ring do not use WD (seems to wash any lube out more than anything) or power wash (high pressures will make it past the sealed bearing and possible rip the o-rings) the bearings are prelubed and nothing is supposed to get in or out use o-ring chain lube and a soft bristle brush, if not o-ring solidstate gots the idea

poisonrain87

Sep 13, 2007
Usually

what i usually do is just wash the chain along with the rest of the bike, the lube it up with some oil or PJ1 BLACK LABEL.

Top Bottom