CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
what do you use to clean your air filter. I have been trying to find some kerozene with no luck.

joshp

May 2, 2005
CR3999 said:
what do you use to clean your air filter. I have been trying to find some kerozene with no luck.

No Toil kit. But it requires you buy a new air filter. After that you can just keep reusing it until filter deteriorates.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
CR3999 said:
any bike shop should have the proper cleaning fluids but first you need to know what the filter was treated with.
Best bet is to get a new fresh filter and sometype of filter oil kit then stick with it and do regular cleaning/treating. This is a very inexpensive maintanence that will prolong the life of your engine

JD-250

Sep 6, 2003
I just give it a quick dunk in some gasoline and then wash thoroughly with dawn detergent and warm water. I know gas is not a preferred solvent because of it's high flash point and it can degrade the glue in your filter over time, but it works great for me and I never noticed any damage to the filter after two years of use.

Just make sure you are in a open area while doing the cleaning, you don't want a spark from something burning down your house or shed.......

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Hi there, I'm just wondering what´s better, kerosene or gas?
I can't get the other cleaners down here in Paraguay, also if using gas, should I use high octane or normal gas? Any opinions would be appreciated.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
While gasoline and kerosene work well and definitely cleans the oil and dirt out very quickly. You should not use them. They tend to break down the filter element faster for one and two you want to use a high flash point substance to clean your airfilter. In other words something that is more difficult to burst into flames. Gasoline and Kerosene are both low flash point fluids and shouldnt be used if you can avoid it.

Try using PJ1 or spectro aerosol filter cleaner spray, works just as good as gas but you just need to spray it on, rub it in and let it sit for about 10 minutes then rinse it clean. I have heard No Toil also works well but as was said earlier you need a no toil filter.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
mineral spirits, gasoline any type, diesel fuel, kerosene they all work well. I'd have to say that if the gas is eating your filter glue over time the filter is ready to replaced anyway. I use techsolve at work to clean mine. I fill an ultrasonic cleaner, turn on the heater, and let them go for 45 min. This is a parts cleaner.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
JST122 said:
I have heard No Toil also works well but as was said earlier you need a no toil filter.
Notoil works great both for cleaning and then oiling the filter and NO you do not need a notoil filter. any quality foam filter will work great with it. We have used notoil, twin air, and Uni filters all with great success with notoil systems.
Proclean 1000 also now makes a filter cleaner that we are switching over to for this season.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
CR3999,

NOTOIL is a vegitable based oil that dosn't require solvents. http://www.notoil.com/

I use TWINAIR's filter and oil, here's how I clean mine.

Clean the filter in your choice of solvent to remove the old oil and dirt it trapped. I use gasoline. I prefer using a small bucket with enough solvent to submerge the filter. Knead the filter a few times, sqeeze out the excess, dump the dirty stuff. (it's great for killing weeds growing in the driveway cracks) Repeat 3-4 times or until the solvent remains clear, and you can't feel any dirt in the bottom of the bucket.

Wash the filter in warm soapy water. I use dishwashing liquid. (dawn, joy ect...) Use the same bucket and method as with the solvent, just use warm soapy water. Repeat 3-4 times, sqeezing the filter and dumping the dirty water each time.

Rinse in warm water. Same method. Dump the dirty water each time. Repeat until the soap bubbles are gone. Their shouldn't be any dirt particles in the bottom of the bucket.

If the dirt is really imbedded in the filter I use the garden hose or the kitchen sink sprayer to remove it. Spraying from the inside of the filter, the water pressure pushes the dirt out the way it came in. I hold the nossle right up against the filter. Gentle pinching and kneading will get it all out.

Once the filter is clean, I spin dry (no water) it in the washing machine. Set the filter so the centrifigle force pulls from the inside out. (have the side that faces your carb, face the center of the washing machine) If the filter won't sit still, I prop it with a clean shop towel. It should be dry in a few hours after that.

Before oiling, I turn the filter inside out to see if I missed any dirt. "Plucking it" with your finger almost always removes it.

Don some latex gloves (found at home depot in the paint section). Place the filter in a clean bucket, pour the filter oil all over it. I use an 8X8 inch plastic bucket with a lid. Saturate it with your favorite oil, sqeeze out the excess and install. I don't grease the rim. You will have alot of oil left in the bucket. It's clean, so pour it back into the filter oil can to use next time. I use Twin Air filter oil.

This method only takes about 15 minutes, minus drying time of course. I clean my filter about once a week. I've used this method for a year and a half with no adverse effects to the Twin Air filter.

Hope this helps, Steve.

motoxracer1234

Uhhh...
Feb 4, 2006
I would say you get 3 of the same air filters. After every ride clean the one air filter with hot soapy water. Then put one of the other clean ones in and wait about a day for the old one to dry. Then spray some air filter oil on and once you used the second one clean that and use the dry one.

Feb 7, 2006
The Filter that i always use is twin air. It seems to get the job done and makes a big difference to my bike. If you are looking to just clean it i use paint thinner then rinse it with hot soapy water.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
joshp said:
No Toil kit. But it requires you buy a new air filter. After that you can just keep reusing it until filter deteriorates.
No Toil is also what we use, it's so easy to do.

Before that we used paint thinner and hot soapy water. Or as Oldguy said hit the local bike shop for some cleaner or a new filter and start fresh.

Top Bottom