Clean KIPS without doing topend?

travbowls

Jun 24, 2008
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...I have a 1990 KDX200, and it has been quite some time since I have cleaned the KIPS (ok, never). This is my extra bike now that I got a kx250, so I would like to clean the KIPS without doing the topend. Is there anything wrong with taking the cylinder off, removing all the KIPS parts, decarboning them, and simply putting everything together, and putting the cylinder back on?

Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I don't see a problem with that at all.. While you have it apart, you can do a good inspection on everything.. And take measurements of the wear parts.

travbowls

Jun 24, 2008
Cool, thanks!

I hear people talk about ring clearances, etc. I assume I need some sort micrometer or something?

I hate to "fix it if it ain't broken" when it comes to KDX's... true story: bought the bike in 1999, and didn't change the spark plug until 2005. haha, talk about reliable.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You only need a set of feeler gauges to get some basic measurements on your own. For the tough ones, like the bore and the piston, you should be able to get a good machinist or maybe the bike shop to measure them for you.

Top Bottom