hbrazuna

Nov 2, 2003
I bought pre owned bike and the spokes were neglected, I can not remove the old dirt with warm water and Castrol clean stuff.
I am thinking to use some polish stuff... is it a good idea ? I am afraid screw up them with some abrasive stuff.

Curlyjoe

Oct 13, 2003
Hi, try using a water blaster on your spokes, turn the pressure down and be careful not to blow the paint off the hubs.

Or if the water blaster is too harsh, then go find grandma's old toothbrush and use some elbo greese.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Good Grief!!! Do NOT use steel wool...That's a horrible idea unless you want it to look like crap...That is NOT the proper way to clean a motorcycle...JEEEZ!!!

Honda makes a product called Honda spray polish...It cleans everything and helps protect both metal and plastic parts and is SAFE for your bike...Just make sure you clean the bike first so you're not rubbing dirt and scratching up stuff...it'll get the stuff that water and mild soap won't get..It'll even clean the oil from under fender from your silencer...After you wash the bike it's a good idea to go over the entire bike with it doing sections at a time...Plus it disperses water...

Always...After you wash your bike get a large fan and turn it on high while you are drying your bike...Get everything dry!

WD 40, spray starch, simple green are ALL HORRIBLE ideas to clean plastic and they do more harm than good...

After using the Honda spray polish the next time you wash the bike the dirt will come off easier and water will bead up showing you that there is an invisible protective layer...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
whitesands26,
I have to completely disagree with you.

Steel wool is the absolute best thing there is to revive tarnished chrome. And chrome is what spokes are.
Have you ever tried it or seen it done? Didn't think so. :)

hb, try the steel wool on one spoke...you'll do the rest after you are done.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I agree that steel wool is probably too harsh unless you have some major rust. I just use a scotch brite with a little WD40 on the spokes and it cleans them up real nice.

Glen T

Oct 24, 2003
If you try steel wool, start with 0000 (four ought). It is the mildest. I have had luck using steel wool on many parts. It does a good job of getting scuffs out of plastic too. I wouldn't use it on new plastic, but some older stuff you want to avoid replacing, it does a fine job on. I wouldn't think twice about using it on my spokes.
One tip, don't use it for muffler packing. I heard it aint too good there.
Glen

tbrooks

Jan 2, 2002
Honda cleaner polish is just spray silicone lube, if your spokes are just dirty try metal flintz it will clean and polish without damaging the surface. if the spokes are rusted use naval jelly but don't get on aluminum as it will etch. when was the last time someone put chrome spokes on a dirt bike? all of my bikes have stainless spokes!

roadrash1

Sep 14, 2003
Might want to read the label on that castol super clean. If that is the smelly purple stuff, it might be the version that corrodes aluminum. It won't tell you that, but it might say, don't use on aluminum. If you do use it, rinse the rims really well with lots of clean water.

Top Bottom