sixds

Mar 25, 2007
should any maintenance be done to the exhaust pipe? i can only imagine how much carbon and spooge gets hung up in the pipe. you could probably take the pipe off and soak it in solvent and knock most of it loose

what do you do to maintain your pipe?

FoxRider_4

Mar 25, 2007
repack your muffler everytime spooge comes out and runs down the bottom it is different on all bikes on my 250 is is every 3 to 4 rides. I am not sure what your supposed to do to the expansion chamber/header though.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i just checked the silencer on my yz125 that i repacked about 7 rides ago. theres just a little spooge at the beginning of the packing.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I cut my pipe open to remove some dents the other day. There was a layer of hard carbon inside about 3/16ths of an inch thick. It was too hard to chip or dissolve away, I had to burn it out with a torch.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Just about, I split the fat section along the original welds. The pipe was starting to get crushed flat and the normal torch + compressed air trick wasn't working. I made it round and smooth again with hammers and dollies, then welded it back together.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i took the pipe off today. i rinsed it with solvent then put a chain in it and rattled the heck out of it. did that about 10 times until the solvent that came out was clear. i also painted the pipe flat black

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I had the same crusty deposit problem in the pipe of my RM250, and after trying several methods without success put it in one of those garden incinerator things (like a garbage can with holes) with some wood for fuel and left it there for 10 mins.When I looked again there was a nice flame coming out of the stinger, so I refueled with wood and left it. When it came out it was absolutely clean, wiith just a few powdery deposits which just fell out. A quick respray with exhaust paint and the jobs a good 'un !

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Radiator repair shops will boil the pipe out for about $30 or so. (take multiple pipes and cut a deal)
It's the best job you can imagine.

I'm sure the fire can will also clean it out, but not many areas are going to allow burning like this. I'm in the country and it won't fly.

I have also used Easy-Off oven cleaner in the past, however it is a messy venture using a very caustic solution. It will not give you the results of a rad tank boil, but will dislodge the bulk of the crud if you are patient.

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Just out of curiousity (new to dirt still), what do most people use to repack a silencer (or in my case one of those turbine core 2 spark arrestors?) Nevermind, looks like the search function on this forum is much more useful than on my other frequented forum :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Jaybird said:
Radiator repair shops will boil the pipe out for about $30 or so. (take multiple pipes and cut a deal)
It's the best job you can imagine.

I'm sure the fire can will also clean it out, but not many areas are going to allow burning like this. I'm in the country and it won't fly.

I have also used Easy-Off oven cleaner in the past, however it is a messy venture using a very caustic solution. It will not give you the results of a rad tank boil, but will dislodge the bulk of the crud if you are patient.

You can't burn it out where you are and California is attempting to phase out the conventional hot tank for cleaning metal parts. We're not allowed to do anything, anymore.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I just got a used nickel plated pipe from a friend, was going to try it on my bike and then noticed, wait a minute, this sucker is heavy! Weighed it, it is six pounds, just the chamber, no silencer! What's a new, clean one weigh, 3 pounds? I think his bike was running way rich plus he rode alot, so there you go. So will oven cleaner, some patience and a garden hose get most of this out? I have a place in the country I can do it without bothering anyone. Seems like years ago I baked one at around 500f in an oven and that "released" most of the carbon, but i'd rather try the oven cleaner this time.

Anyone know way a Platinum 2 pipe for a 250 should weigh?

P.S./edit: I just noticed, this is a "Platinum 2" pipe, which is evidently their heavy duty off road version...so maybe it's a bit heavier to begin with...six pounds though? I'd still like to clean it out.

And someone had asked above, will the oven cleaner affect the plating? I think oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide...

Last edited:

Top Bottom