cleaning off old gaskets and using liquid gaskets

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I just put on new rings, and the bike is old. bike bandit does no have the base gasket, so kawasaki does not either.

I have the old one, but it's torn up.

I a wondering If I could get the correct fhickness gasket material, and cut my own?

how do I get the gasket stuck on the cases and head off? will gas work?

how about liquid gasket? would that work as a base gasket?

If it helps, the bike is a 1976 kawasaki ke 175 2-stroke

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The thickness of the base gasket controls the height of the ports in the cylinder so anything other than stock will affect the port timing. It will also change the compression since the head is either closer or further away.

With that said, I've been known to use a cereal box and form-a-gasket for base gaskets when I was a kid in the 70's. It's not like that model bike is tuned to the hilt. You probably won't even feel a difference. In your case you should buy some gasket material (at an auto store) and cut your own--don't use a cereal box :)

It just takes elbow grease to remove the old gasket. Use a very sharp razor blade and take your time scrapping it off. Take special care not to gouge the aluminum. If you do kick up a burr, stone it down.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
make a base gasket - a paper style will CRUSH as it is torqed down-
you can use gas - or laquer thinner-,and a light soft wire brush-
mabe lapp the head with a sheet of sand paper and dish soap to keep it flat
also call midwest action cycle i bet they can get you one-
1-800-343-9065 :cool:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
to cut it, I was thinking I would tape off the crankcase and around the piston, put chalk on the studs, press the gasket material on that, making a perfect copy.

after carefully cutting those out with an exacto/craft knife, I'll cut a rough hole for the piston, put chalk on the edges of the crankcase but still tape it off so none gets inside, then press it down again.

cut it out, and I've got a gasket.
the outside does not matter as much, so I'll cut it a little wide. better than too narrow, right?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
There is a technique for cutting your own gaskets that works pretty good.

Cut out a section of the gasket material that is a bit larger than what you need. Since this stuff generally comes in a roll it will have a major curl to it, get that out before you do anything else. Heat it up, roll it the other way, iron it, whatever.

Instead of trying to trace the gasket and cut it out with a knife, use the edge of the case/cylinder to do the cutting. You do this by holding the gasket in place and lightly tapping the it with a ball peen hammer.

Start by cutting out the holes for the studs/bolts/dowel pins, using the cylinder as the anvil. A light tap with the ball end of the hammer directly over the hole will result in the hammer cutting the gasket against the cylinder. As you get each hole cut out insert a bolt to lock the gasket into position.

Once you have the bolts holding the gasket in place thentap along the inside edge, using the cylinder as the anvil. You can do the same for the outside edge, or simply cut it out with scissors. Don't try to cut too close, other than it looking a little odd it probably won't hurt anything to have a bit of gasket flapping in the breeze under the cylinder.

Rod

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok, thanks a lot!

does it really cut it that well?

I never would've thought of that.

I'll try it.

do I need to use gasket sealer along with the gasket?

what end of the ball peen hammer should I use?

sorry about all the questions, i just dont want to mess up my engine.

thanks, Alex. :)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Some materials cut better than others. The pink, green, blue, white, beige gasket materials cut the easiest. The black stuff is a little harder. Paper works well too.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I went with the chalk method.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

it worked wonderfully, and I have a perfectly fitting gasket, right thickness and everything!

I did not feel comfortable using a hammer, so I never even touched one.

I really REALLY did not want to mess up my engine.

EDIT: I used the black kind, it was eiter that or this cork stuff, or some really thick grey stuff.

the kind I got works perfect, though.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
If you have not installed it yet, I would recommend using some gasket prep on it. It comes in a spray can and sprays a wet mist onto the paper. This helps the gasket to seal and makes it easier to remove next time as a single piece instead of breaking apart and requiring scraping. I think Eric Gore told me about the stuff and it works very well. It's available at auto stores, but I don't know what it's called. It's not a liquid gasket or a gasket replacement. I would think it will finish off your home made gasket quite nicely.

Good luck.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Hylomar HPF comes in a tube and works well as a gasket prep if you think it's necessary. It's basically a very tacky paste that will hold the gasket in place during assembly and never hardens.

bro

Mar 21, 2002
It's probably too late for this time but you can remember this for next time:

To clean off old gaskets shoot a little carb cleaner on the gasket and let it sit for a minute. The carb cleaner softens up the gasket and makes scraping a little easier. You may have to do it a few times if the material is very thick.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I put some gasket sealer stuff on it, with copper in it.

this is my first top end job.

I cleaned it out, so there was no grit.

I dont see any reason it wouldn't, but I hope it starts!

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
yes! I torqued down the bolts, and the sucker starts first kick again!

better compression than before, too.

the old rings were very worn, the sides were shiny enough to see your reflection in!

I know top ends are pretty easy, but I'm 15, turned 15 in early march (march 2nd) and I just did my first top end, and cut my own gasket.

I'm pretty proud, even though it is relatively easy compared to rebuilding other parts of the engine.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
schmanman said:
I wish I would've gotten started on dirtbikes earlier....
Man, your only 15!! You've got your whole life ahead of ya. It's good to see someone like yourself that really takes a liking to not just the riding but working on bikes too. You'll go far. :cool:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
thanks!

working on them can actually be fun.

you just have to be sure to do it right.

half assed jobs usually end up bad.

I actually also have a 69 yamaha 90cc
one of the ones with the backwards looking gas tank
that looks like this,

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/ives90.jpg

that I got from my uncle, minus carburetor, and rear wheel & shocks.

and a 70s' Suzuki 125 dual sort/enduro.
that I got from him looks like this (but an enduro, in worse condition) I cant find the exact bike, but this is pretty close.

http://www.vintagemx.us/guestbook/images/125s/tm1251a.jpg

both are stripped down to the frame, all the components stored in a shed-like structure i built behind my barn.

me and my friend are working on re-building the Suzuki.

I have a pic of it on putfile I'll look for later.

Last edited:

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
well, If my method worked good, and did not require me to hit the engine with a hammer, just because it's not the accepted way of doing it, does it mean it's not a good way, or it's "wrong".

there's a thing called an open mind.... ;)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There's more than one way to skin a cat...or cut a gasket :)

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
cool! dang...

your in Washington.

I'm in michigan.

my parents wont buy Me anything, I've got to do it all myself.

my grandpa helps with the funds sometime, he bought me my air filter, gloves an helmet, and helps me when I need to weld, but I do most everything myself (short of mounting tires on the rims)

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
you are increadibly lucky!

I wish my dad thought of it that way...

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
yep, I go by that already.

my grandpa has bought me several K in tools already, I could disassemble and re-assemble a bike if needed.

yeah, I'll talk to him. :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…