Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I forgot I had some of the stuff I ran across! Heck I found some cool stuff I'm glad I kept (buried under other crap) some of the stuff not so much, LOL! Other junk was just that junk and I have no idea why I though I should keep it. Anybody else done a shop purge recently or need to?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
last time i purge my garage, just after the garbage collector left, I needed exactly what he took :bang: now i just reorganize because I hate going to buy a 20' piece of twine when 3' that I threw out yesterday is gone and i only need 2'

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I moved a few years ago and "found" all kinds of stuff that I hadn't seen in years but convinced myself that I really couldn't do with out them. OMG, I'm I a hoarder???

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How many dead cats did you find?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I won't throw anything out from my workshops :p , however, my wife can feel free to nuke the cellar in our house, hell I'll even rent a 20 cubic yard (or two).

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I think the saying goes that if you move, and you find a box that was never opened from when you moved there in the first place, it is junk. Get rid of it.

But I never throw anything away, you just never know when you will need it down the road.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
My dad passed away last February. He grew up during the depression and learned to never throw anything out. He and my mom lived in their house for 45 years. I hauled seven truckloads of junk out of the garage alone. There's still more stuff to haul away.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Ditto, WoodsRider. My dad was born in 1912. When he died a few years ago, you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff he collected in his 90 years of living. Half of his time in the house I grew up in. And I married someone who is much worse than my dad !! If I ever build on to our house, I'll have to add on to the attic first. I fear that one day the weight of the crap above our heads is going to cause the attic to crash down on us in our sleep rendering the idea behind her not throwing anything away moot.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It seems to be a common thing among todays elderly. My wife's grandparents are in their mid 80s and have a house, garage and camp with a TON of things stored within. It will take a good deal of work to go through all that stuff someday. I'm sure there's some very interesting things though!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In my experience, those born in poverty, those that lived in the great depression and those that have been in the same house for a long time will generate HUGE amounts of stuff. And if they go to garage sales and can't resist a bargain, look out!

My parents retired and moved cross country a few years before my dad passed away, so they purged their own stuff (with the help of their kids). It took months, becuase they both wanted to bring it ALL. Forced with a deadline, by the end they were just hurling stuff in the dumpsters because we were all sick of it.

I shudder to think how bad it would have been if they had stayed in that house for the rest of their lives. My brother and I would have had to take months off of work to deal with it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yup... Pokie grew up in WWII Europe. Heard he actually threw out a broken VHS from 1985 a couple months ago :)

I go thru stuff once a year, trash the trash-able, sell the not trash-able and buy more stuff that will cycle through the system next year, lol.

On the bright side, I found a barely ridden 2006 CRF250 in there. :whoa:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
They call it junk but I fondly and intimately know it all as stuff and should you touch my stuff let alone mention dumpster in the same sentence fur and sparks may ensue, no I'm a nice guy really but as you can tell I'm a keeper of stuff. My garage is twice as big as my house so that's a lot of stuff. In my future I hope to learn to be as good at tidy as I am at collecting stuff. The biggest upside of collecting stuff is that most simple repaires and maintanance mean I don't have to start with a trip to get supplies

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oh I found some neat dirt bike stuff I totally forgot about! I'll put it out on the for sale forum in a few days when I get around to taking pics and making a description. Still looking for that bag of gold that I hope somebody left in a corner.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I can't even walk in my garage anymore, though it has 3 cars, my KTM, 2 refrigerators, and all my shop equipment and tools (5 HP compressor, blast cabinet, parts washer, rollaround cabinets, workbench) in it! It's a 3 car garage but hardly any space on either end. I guess the good news is when I move next summer I will finally have to purge it all.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Patman said:
Anybody else done a shop purge recently or need to?

Need to. Yeppers, one of these days. ;)

My neighbor always says, 'You don't own your stuff. After a while, your stuff owns you.'

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Ol'89r said:
Need to. Yeppers, one of these days. ;)

My neighbor always says, 'You don't own your stuff. After a while, your stuff owns you.'
I was going to post the same quote, after reading this thread! It's so true!

I'm currently at my folks (and my,) house in IA trying to clean and move their stuff after living here 45 years. Helped do the same thing with the in-laws stuff about 3 years ago. Not easy! I'm fortunate, though, all four are still with us, in care facilities.

But I am definitely owned!! Both here, and at my house! :( :whoa: :|

Top Bottom