m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
my just got a 1998 kx 125 a couple weeks ago and the piston is all carboned up and and im sure the head is. what can i use to clean this. what do i use for a rag?

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
you can wire wheel it then polish it with wd40 and 600grit (and up to a 1000grit if ya want to make a mirror out of it)
i did this with my 81 yz465 and it stayed CLEAN after running it for a another summer. had a dime size spot of carbon on it but the rest was still polished.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Just put a new piston and ring set in it since you have it apart, save your effort on the scrub job. The head can be cleaned up with scotch bright or one of the ways mentioned above.

simonhitch

Feb 24, 2008
you may as well replace the piston, ring and bearing while you have the top end off, save all the scrubbing,you never know how long the pistons been in there, better to be safe than sorry

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
He never said he had his top end off......... In the old days, people use to sometimes take off the head, move the piston to the top of its stroke, place some grease around the outside edge of the piston to stop crap from going down the bore, and scrape the carbon off of the piston. Guess it seems a little old fashioned now......

Top Bottom